Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Army Diesel Cooker

British Army Diesel Cooker

Any one of you ex-squaddies etc. ever used one of these?

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/n...ker-8893-p.asp

I'd like to know as I know it's a bit expensive, but for a car/boat kit, there's always diesel around when you can't make an open fire.

Answers on a postcard please...

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Dont now about that one but the Petrol one could be a bit of a night mere if I remember

Never used one, but have heard a couple of buddies on another forum discuss the poor smell from diesel, didn't get into the food, but they said the odor was for the evening.
    mind over matter...if you don't mind...it doesn't matter

Save your money and buy a true multi fuel stove such as an MSR or the latest Primus: As Wescobts says
    they said the odor was for the evening.
    I run my multi fuel on Aspen 4T fuel. It costs £3.40 per litre as opposed to Coleman fuel at £6 or more.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Diesel is not recommended as cooking fuel, it utterly stinks! It will, no matter how careful you are keeping the lid of the pot on tight, add a very nasty aftertaste to your food. No matter how much you try to conceal it with spices.

If you like the design of the stove, look for an Optimus Hiker+ - or better, a vintage Optimus Hiker, as they are found much cheaper and are generally much better. This is a classic multifuel stove "in-a-box", formerly in use by the Danish army.

Perosnally I use the Optimus Svea 123R (white gas) and the Trangia Multifuel X2 (made by Primus). I used to have a multifuel Optimus Nova+, but I disliked the built-in adjustment in the fuel line, I would much rather recommend the older Optimus Nova over the Nova+, if you can find one.

Looks like roughly the same design as the Coleman twin burner we used to have for family camping (until it packed-up and refused to work - despite a clean and service). My original Coleman feather 442 still soldiers on though. Of course, they were fuelled with white gas or unleaded so - no unpleasant smells/tastes. I assume this Army design one was to save taking different fuel for cooking, and could just utilize a splash or two from the landy/lorry jerrycan.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

We only ever had petrol but I hated the things they always seemed to not quite work for me LOL
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Used the no 12 once when work with the marines and it stinks the petrol no 2 burner was a lot better and a great det cooker

We just got big blue bottles of gas and camping gas cookers But on the 432 we had the old tank keetle (I cant remember its right name) what we could boil on the move for brew and the Louvres on the top where we cooked our tins while drive along knocking German bins over that they left at the side of the road. It was great fun at four in the morning
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

you mean the old BV, boiling vessel they were great things I converted one to work in my rover, but when I left one of my units I left it behind one of the bigeest mistakes I ever made.