Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Review: Helle/Les Stroud Temagami - carbon steel blade. Updated w. field test!

Review: Helle/Les Stroud Temagami - carbon steel blade. Updated w. field test!

Time for another knife review! This time it is a knife that is a lot more up my alley; the Temagami, designed by Les Stroud (known from Survivorman and Beyond Survival) and produced by Helle in Norway; http://helle.com/Default.aspx?tabid=8564&language=en-US
    I actually bought this knife before I knew anything about Les Stroud. I bought it because I am quite fond of Helle's laminated carbon steel, of which only three models are available currently: The Viking (which I have had for some time), the Ny Fjording (which I have in order) and the Temagami.
    I ordered the Temagami because I, from pictures and the price tag, expected it to be a somewhat nicer knife than the Viking and Ny Fjording, both which are nice, but fairly simple in design and finish.
    The Temagami is available in both laminated stainless steel and laminated carbon steel. Though Helle's laminated stainless steel is very high quality, I find their laminated carbon steel to be even more so – actually; my Helle Viking is among the best blades I have ever used!

First impressions:

Packaging:
    The knife comes in a nice cardboard tube, printed with the Helle logo, Les Stroud's signature, a classic shot of a Norwegian fjord with mountains in the background and a long text vividly explaining the qualities of Helle knives.
    The idea of packing the knife in a tube is imho, very classy and innovative – and will certainly add to the collector's value of this knife.
    My only gripe about the tube is the fact that the ends are not very sturdy and very loosely glued on. On my example both had gone loose during transport, a shame really.

Contents of package:
    -Knife
    -Leather sheath
    -Maintenance-/storage cloth
    -Small pamphlet containing guarantee and maintenance information

The knife:

Measurements (my own): Weight (knife); 147 g. Weight (knife + sheath); 205 g. Blade length; 11 cm. Blade width; 2,7 cm. Blade thickness; 3 mm, Overall length: 23 cm.

Appearance/aesthetics:
    This knife is best described as a marriage between a classic Scandinavian knife and a British bushcraft knife. The grind and handle material is traditionally Scandinavian, while the shape of the blade, handle and the half enclosed full tang is more in the way of the classic Bushcraft knife.
    The overall design is very nice and quite harmonic as is the finish – the proportions, especially the handle, is larger than most Scandinavian knives.
    Personally I prefer traditional Scandinavian stick tang knives, but I suspect the half enclosed full tang of this knife will have a broader appal to bushcrafters Worldwide.
    I will comment on the details below.

Blade:
    Classic carbon steel drop point blade with no sharpened upper/back edge (making the handle less hard on your baton) and Scandinavian grind – a classic bushcraft blade, very similar to the Ray Mears Woodlore/Bushcraft Knife, Rod Garcia Skookum Bush Tool as well as numerous clones of these.
    The back of the blade has three notches filed in at the middle, originally intended to have two functions: 1. As a place to put your index finger, and prevent it from slipping, when skinning and preparing game. 2. To work as a striker for firesteels. The first function has no use for me (yet) and the second, as discovered by many and confirmed by testing it on several of my firesteels, does not work as intended. The metal of the back of the blade is simply too soft to throw a spark. Helle is aware of this and has announced it on it's homepage; http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tab...language=en-US I was aware of this before I bought the knife, as I prefer to strike my firesteels with a striker, I really do not mind. The notches do not take anything away from the overall appearance of the knife – and once I get my hunting licence, I may even come to find the feature useful.
    The blade, which is finished with Helle's near mirror polish, with some minor tool marks, is etched Helle Norway, Temagami and Carbon on the blade.
    Some would maybe consider a blade thickness of 3 mm to be rather thin for a bushcraft knife like this, personally I find that a thicker blade would make the knife too heavy – and I have never had any problems with any of my other 3 mm thick blades.
    Like all Helle knives I have ever handled this one comes hair popping sharp out of the box (I now have several bald spots on my left forearm to prove that) – it also cuts paper like it is nobody's business.

Handle:
    Curly birch with a comfortable matte oiled finish. The tang is half embedded in the handle and secured with two brass pins and a brass lined lanyard hole. According to Sami tradition a traditional Scandinavian knife must contain at least one element of brass, or else it will loose its magic. Aside from that; brass goes well with curly birch
    The handle is shaped with a finger guard. An unusual feature for a Scandinavian knife – and for a classic bushcraft knife even. But, never the less; a well thought of feature and one I am growing to like quite a lot.
    The handle is rather substantial, more so than any of my other similar sized knives, but it is surprisingly comfortable as well. I suspect it to quite comfortable for prolonged use, more so actually than many of my knives with smaller handles.
    The wood itself is, I must admit, a bit of a disappointment. It is nowhere as nice as the wood of the knife shown on the Helle homepage – and I have much cheaper knives with significantly nicer curly birch handles, like my Eräpu 202 and Helle Viking. The handle is by no means ugly, I had just expected a lot more from looking at pictures and considering the price. Either Helle has deliberately chosen an extra nice example for photographing – or I have been “unlucky” and gotten one of the “less nice” pieces of wood. Either way, I would be lying if I said that I was fully content with it.
    If examined carefully the handle is not fully symmetrical and the handle and tang does not align completely everywhere. This is normal for a Helle knife however.

The sheath:
    Traditional Scandinavian sheath in a rather old fashioned (even for a Scandinavian style sheath) back stitched “ambidextrous” design. The advantage of this particular design is that the knife can be worn on either the right or left side. The sheath being a traditional Scandinavian one, the knife sits deeply and firmly in the sheath, preventing loss – as there are no attachments to secure the knife further. Though, I have yet to loose a knife from a deep Scandinavian sheath like this.
    The sheath is made in a fairly thick full grain leather which has been stained dark brown. The sheath has a simple decoration at the lower part and around the top of the sheath, I personally like simple decorations like this.
    The belt loops is riveted in place and aligns with the top of the handle. Personally I prefer a dangler type belt loop and a knife that hangs lower than this. I may have to modify this later.
    Inside the sheath is a plastic insert, which protects the sheath from being cut. A non traditional feature that I, over time, have come to prefer, from having seen a few too many sheaths, without such an insert, being cut open, by the point of the knife, in the hands of overly eager knife users.
    The sheath came with some tool marks and some scratches/rough parts, but a good coat of leather grease took care of that.
    I like this sheath, but I feel that maybe a more classic bushcraft type sheath, like the one that comes with the Ray Mears Bushcraft Knife, would suit this knife better.

So far the initial impressions: This is definitely one of the nicest knives I have ever handled, when it comes to design – and I fully suspect that field testing will prove it to be an excellent user. Especially because I know that the Helle laminated carbon steel is excellent.
    The finish is what I have come to expect from a Helle knife, which is, considering the price of the Temagami, maybe a little less than I had expected form this particular knife. The quality of the curly birch of the handle does not live up to my expectations, I am very fond of curly birch – so this bothers me somewhat.
    The Helle Temagami is about twice the price of the very similar Helle Eggen. I must admit that I am having somewhat of a hard time seeing why that is really – no doubt the Temagami is stronger than the Eggen, due to the full tang construction, and the Temagami is available in laminated carbon steel, but does that really justify paying twice the amount of money? I am not so sure.
    I am a big fan of Les Stroud's work, both his survival shows and his music. I have a great deal of respect for the honesty in the way he produces his survival shows. Considering that, I am not really that content with the thought of having paid, what could be considered an overprice, for a knife, simply because it is designed by Les Stroud. It seems, at least in my point of view, to be less in the spirit of Les' work.

If the weather holds up, I will field test the knife tomorrow, putting it through it's paces. Otherwise I will get it done asap...
    Last edited by JEEP; 04-12-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Excellent review.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all of this together for us.

I would be interested to hear more of your views on the jimping on the spine of the blade. I've never really been a fan of jimping, especially that far down the spine. It usually reserved for the first inch or so forward of the handle.

Also, have you any idea why they have made the tang partially hidden. Is it for a purpose or purely aesthetic do you think ?

Thanks again

Ade

The jimping is to add as a safe place to put your index finger when doing precision work with the plade. I will make sure to incooperate some precision work into my feld testing.

I suspect the tang is partially enclosed in order to have as little metal exposed as possible, while still utilizing a full tang. Exposed metal in a handle is especially an issue in sub zero temperatures.

Another great review Jeep, cant wait for the field testing

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

best review yet thanks Jeep
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.”
    ― John Muir

Thanks for the great essay, Jeep. As for being overpriced, I agree with your point; it is twice as expensive as the eggen or the fjellkniven, so is it
    twice as good? The reason the knife caught my attention in the first place was the name. As you probably know, Temagami is in northeastern Ontario,
    and it's a place where I have gone on several moose hunts and fishing trips. Honestly, it is one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in the world, and
    one of my favourite outdoor adventure destinations, so I thought how cool is it that they named a knife after this awesome place.
    Looking forward to your field test.

Jack

Second part; field testing!

The weather was terrible today; heavy rain and the occasional hail storm. But, I decided on going to the open camp site at Brigsted anyway, to carry out the test. There is a shelter there, where I could get out of the rain.
    The photos for this test, aside from the last one, are taken inside the rather dark shelter. That has somewhat affected the quality of the photos I am afraid.
    I did not sharpen the knife prior to – or during – this test btw.
    In order to give an all round impression of the capabilities and quality of the knife and accessories, I have put it through two basic camp chores:

1. Preparing firewood/kindling; batoning, chopping and feathersticking
    2. Making a basic tent peg, utilizing basic cutting techniques, as shown in this video: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/ca...ft-basics.html

Preparing firewood/kindling

Batoning and chopping: This knife is an absolute monster when it comes to batoning! Nothing much more to say about that really; this knife handles any log that the 11 cm blade can bite over. The construction of the handle makes batoning quite comfortable, as long as you do not place your thumb of directly on the tang, which will cause you to feel the impact quite heavily.
    The rather soft outer layers of the laminated blade got some rather substantial scratches from the batoning, but they are purely cosmetic and will most likely polish off.
    When it comes to shopping this knife does the job, but it is nowhere perfect for it. The short blade and relative light weight (two things that I like for other reasons) makes chopping a time consuming and rather tedious task with this knife – which is fully to be expected, so it is hard to hold against it. If I need a chopper I will bring my leuku.
    Chopping with the assistance of a baton went much faster and was a lot more comfortable – this is the method I will recommend for this knife.
    When batoning the jumping on the back will bite into your baton, more than I had expected actually. This is not a big problem though, if compared to the damage done by many other blade shapes, especially the ones with a sharpened/tapered back edge to the point.

Feathersticking: I am not a very skilled feathersticker, but I found the task to be fairly easy with this knife. I always test the knife's ability for feathersticking after batoning/chopping, to test edge retention. This blade was still hair popping sharp after making a pile of kindling and small fuel for my Bushcooker!

It was really cold, wet and windy. Getting the Bushcooker to burn properly was a pain. Someone had decided to take most of the firewood, chop it, try to light a fire, give up and leave all the split firewood out in the open to get absolutely soaked. Some people..!
    But, I eventually managed to get the Bushcooker going, boiling water in my billy can, so that I could heat myself up with a nice cup of cocoa before continuing to the whittling part of the test.

Making a basic tent peg:

Push cut with a stop: Whittling with this knife is a joy! The substantial handle with the shaped guard is very comfortable and safe to grip. The razor sharp drop point blade/scandi grind blade really bites into the wood – while being easy to control at the same time.
    The back of the blade is broad enough to be comfortable when you place your thumb on it. I tried incorporating the jimping into the test, but it is simply to far up the blade to be of any use here.

Lever cut: Same story as above; this knife simply performs; both in the efficiency and the comfort departments!

Conclusion, practical test:
    I can only repeat myself; this knife is a joy to use! It is a strong performer as well as being very comfortable to use, for both rough and finer tasks.
    The handle has no “hot spots” or sharp edges. I suspect that I should be able to work with this knife for a prolonged period of time, with a minimum of fatigue and without blisters and sore hands.
    The sheath btw, is a lot more comfortable an practical than I had initially expected, I will refrain from modifying it and leave it as it is.

Summary:
    Les Stroud can be proud of this knife! Like Les himself, this knife gives an impression of being rugged, reliable and well thought over. This is a highly successful design – and there is no doubt I will be carrying and using this knife regularly in the future.

Fit and finish is everything I have come to suspect from a Helle knife. But, as said before, I had maybe expected a little more in the materials (wood) and finish departments, considering the price of the knife.
    Yes, I really feel the need to address the issue of the price again. Imho. this knife simply is too expensive when compared to other Helle knives. A shame really; if this knife was priced around £60-80, it could easily become the to-go-to knife for bushcrafters wishing to “upgrade” their plastic handled Mora for something nicer looking yet equally capable.
    Below is a photo of my Helle Temagami and my Eräpuu 202. The Temagami is priced around £ 120 while the 202 cost around £40! Granted; my 202 was hand picked for me – and it may have a slightly nicer handle than most 202's, but not so much actually, when I look at photos of other 202's.
    There is no doubt the laminated carbon steel of the Temagami is somewhat superior to the rather standard black blade of the 202, but nowhere near enough to validate a £80 price difference! The scabbards that comes with the two knives are very similar and equally nice btw.

Out of ten stars, I rate this knife:
    Design: ********* (one star off, because of the jimping that was intended to work as a striker, but doesn't)
    Quality: ******* (if the handle had lived up to the pictures on Helle's homepage, this would have been a clear 10)
    Performance: **********
    Accessories (scabbard, etc.): ********
    Price: ***** (being around twice as expensive as other Helle knives, this knife gets only half the stars)

Overall: 7,8 stars out of 10

Will I recommend this knife: Yes, especially if you can find it cheaper than the MSRP.
    I will recommend that you buy this knife at a shop, where you can pick between a few examples, picking the nicest handle – as it seems there is a big difference in quality of the wood used.

A good little article (pages 26-27) here I came across about Lake Temagami, with the classic picture of a guy fishing with his beer. Reminds me of a trailer hitch cover I recently saw that says "Life is too short to fish without beer". So true!

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1sf...ne-Summer-2011

Excellent review Jakob, excellent pics too, keep it up! Someday I'll have to send a knife your way to test out and beat up.

bushcraftboy
    Nice review, I might buy a new knife soon, my 840MG is good but I want to thick and wider blade.

I always like your reviews
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses