Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Oil to Finish Wood?

Good questions. The beeswax had three light coats, the linseed and danish oil had one light coat each. The beeswax feels very slightly waxy (as you would expect) and the other two feel like rubbing your finger over paper, if that makes sense. None have been polished with any pads yet, but I only sanded them down to 150g paper, so they wouldn't come up to mirror shine without a good few coats more, and a lot of elbow grease, to fill the grain/sanding scratches/etc.

They are pipe holders I have been trying to master.

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I made a chopping board from oak some years ago and thinking that linseed might be inappropriate for food use, put olive into it. This seemed to work ok and after every few washes (with washing up detergent) needed topping up with a bit of kitchen towel soaked in olive oil. Can't afford olive oil now - so use cheap veg oil, but rarely use the board anyway - owing to the concave surface from years of knife work. I think any "cooking" oil would suffice to prevent too much hydration, and create a bit of barrier between food and wood.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    I made a chopping board from oak some years ago and thinking that linseed might be inappropriate for food use, put olive into it. This seemed to work ok and after every few washes (with washing up detergent) needed topping up with a bit of kitchen towel soaked in olive oil. Can't afford olive oil now - so use cheap veg oil, but rarely use the board anyway - owing to the concave surface from years of knife work. I think any "cooking" oil would suffice to prevent too much hydration, and create a bit of barrier between food and wood.
    Generally speaking, veg oil and olive oil are meant to go "rancid" after a while, but I have never seen it happen yet. Beech is the best wood to use for chopping boards, as it has natural antibacterial properties

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Generally speaking, veg oil and olive oil are meant to go "rancid" after a while, but I have never seen it happen yet. Beech is the best wood to use for chopping boards, as it has natural antibacterial properties
    Yeah - and beech is an absolute dream to work with. Also is nice and dense and consistant grain, which would have fewer fissures for bacteria to settle in. I only used oak 'cos that's what I had available after dismantling a wardrobe, and I figured it would at least be more resistant to knife useClick image for larger version. 

Name:	chopping board.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	3299
    As for rancid oil, I think on a board that's being washed regularly and having oil re-applied, then it's not going to be a worry. This board's desparately ready for more oil (it's in semi-retirement 'cos the new plastic one is flat!)
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Maybe the article I saw, was more about spoons, where they are constantly being submersed in liquid and exposed to heat?

Fantastic looking board there mate. Nicely done

Thanks. I suppose heating and cooling is a recipe for bacterial disaster.

Good questions. The beeswax had three light coats, the linseed and danish oil had one light coat each. The beeswax feels very slightly waxy (as you would expect) and the other two feel like rubbing your finger over paper, if that makes sense. None have been polished with any pads yet, but I only sanded them down to 150g paper, so they wouldn't come up to mirror shine without a good few coats more, and a lot of elbow grease, to fill the grain/sanding scratches/etc.

They are pipe holders I have been trying to master.

Behave will you I cant keep up LOL Love the work mate
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Cheers Ben. Thinking of winding down for the holidays now lol.

Cheers Ben. Thinking of winding down for the holidays now lol.
    Thats good I'm trying to carve a spoon at the min but it looks more like a mallet LOL I will do some pics in a bit
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Cool. Look forward to seeing the. I like hammers....I mean, spoons