Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Oil to Finish Wood?

I like Tung oil and actually just today I used it on some American White Oak and it gives a lovely rich finish.

On the topic of spontanious combustion, whilst I've never seen it myself, I ALWAYS burn my rags or wipes that have been used for wood oils and NEVER leave them in the shed just in case.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've been using linseed oil for 35 years, both raw and boiled ('cos I didn't know the difference when I was 11). Must be some pretty perfect conditions needed for this to be a problem. It doesn't even say anything on the tin about combustion. Not doubting what you are saying, I just haven't ever experienced it myself.

Martin

However...

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...uscombust.html
    Last edited by Martin; 03-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    On the topic of Spontaneaous combustion, have a look at this from Wildwood survival - one of my favourite sites for fire lighting.
    http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...l05/index.html
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

If you buy linseed oil here in Denmark, the label must contain a warning aswell as instructions on how to safely dispose of rags.

Linseed oil is the traditional oil for treating wood here in Scandinavia, it used to be a common household item really. I remember that my father had a airtight metal wastebin at his old workshop, especially for linseed oil soaked rags.

Personally I burn the rags after use.

Hi Ashley (and the rest of you motley bunch lol)

With regard to finishing wood on knife and axe handles I always use Danish Oil followed by a couple of coats of Carnauba wax. (the carnauba wax is only on the knife handle not the axe handle).

Unfortunately it is very expensive. Also Danish oil can massively affect the colour and finish of a wood.

If the wood has a quick wipe over with a cloth that has Danish oil on it, it will darken slightly. However, if you warm the wood and immerse it in the oil fully for 24 hrs then the wood will darken considerably.

On drinking vessels I have used a variety of oils including Walnut, Olive, Vegetable, Grape Seed and Sesame oil. All of which had their own slightly different finish and mild after taste. As a tip, it's always good to warm the wood a bit first. This opens the pores/grain of the timber which allows a deeper penetration of the oil.

Hope this helps

Ade

Ps. Sorry forgot to mention that I entirely agree about the huge amount of caution that needs to be used when using Linseed oil.

For a day job I work at Homebase and we have to watch a H&S video specifically about it. Infact a Homebase store once burnt to the ground due to some paper towels that had been used to clean up linseed oil being thrown in a waste paper bin.

Ade

I can confirm the danger of various oils self-combusting, not from expereince but advice I was given years ago by my previous father in law (woodworker, carver by profession), best to go on the safe side rather than the other. I don't use it that much, mostly I use a cotton swab to apply the oils, then wipe off with a paper towel, not enough in either of them to generate the heat to combust, but still, at least being a bit of a 'tin foil hatter' with this stuff is worth it, while still retaining your manhood. Lol

I second that along with jeep and jonnyp, you really do need to be carefull with linseed oil and tung oil, I'm no chemist but under certain conditions they can ignite all on there own.As for finishing wood i like sanding sealer followed by bees wax, i like the smell and the feel of waxed wood, you won't get a hi gloss finish just a nice natural sheen plus on light timbers it does give them a nice mellow colour.

sorry mike and adrian, you posted as i was typingy!! but yeh i agree you do need to be carefull with oils,carnuba wax is the hardest naturle wax known to man better than bees wax

Does anybody know about roasted walnut oil?
    Would it work the same as normal walnut oil?

Thanks,

Erd