Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: machete or axes waht you working with??

Trapper
    The machete has no place in the boreal forest. The axe is the only real choice here.

People who say different, have no real experience in the boreal forest. That's a fact!

I've used axes of different sizes, a parang machete and a billhook which belonged to my great grandad in boreal forest and found each one has it's place and are useful for different jobs. Axe is good for felling and splitting, billhook is great for taking out limbs and branches as well as splitting and chopping, machete is ideal for taking off small branches and limbs very quickly, hewing, splitting and chopping.

My usual carry is a large-ish hatchet axe, a parang machete and a folding saw and this combo completes all jobs admirably. I don't take the billhook out too often as it's a bit of a family heirloom now!

Trapper
    Oh please! An axe will do everything a “parang machete and a billhook” will do and do it better.

Carrying an axe and a parang gives no advantage over just carrying an axe, extra weight for no benefit.

I would like to present this side of the issue for a machete, parang and the like. Here in the hardwood scrub oaks on the edge of the Great Plains I use my machete and Thai Aranyik e-toh 12" blade much more than my axe or hatchet. I deal with more shrubs, clearing under growth to set up my hammock, cutting grasses, cane and reed for thatching. I cut trees down, split wood(within reasonable sizes) with my Aranyik.

Ive gotten to the point this summer that i usually grab the e-toh for most shrafting.
    Should I have a base camp or a canoe I'd have the axe and the long blade.
    What it all boils down to, use what works for you.

Tommy- no one seems to have limited it to boreal forest. If anyone came to my woods and said what you just said, I'd say they had no experience. The orignal post asked what we are using, not what others think everyone else should use. Let's not belittle each ones choices.
    Last edited by OKBushcraft; 06-08-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Definitely an axe for me. While I understand that a parang or machete is the tool of choice in tropical environments, I can find no use for it in my area, and I cringe every time I see vids where the person starts hacking madly into wood such as oak or hickory with it. Parangs and machetes were not designed to process hardwood.
    That said, in the warmer months or when I'm 'going-light', I take my Wetterlings Wildlife with me. For winter, I use my Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest axe.
    I know some folks prefer a tomahawk, but I'm not so sure it could stand up to the performance of a hatchet...except perhaps chopping.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Trapper
    @ OKBushcraft

I'll put my axe up against your Aranyik any day. I'll get more work done in less time than you, even in Oklahoma.

Spend a week with me in the Canadian backcountry and I guarantee that you will be reaching for an axe before the Aranyik.

BTW I read your post before you edited it. You obviously don't fillet your fish. Filleting is the best way IMO. Yes let's argue about this too. <just kidding>

You are right. No need waiting for me to spend the entire week before I grab an axe in YOUR forest, I wouldn't even bring my Aranyik. But I'd say your answer wouldn't be so quick after a week in mine. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Shelter building here can be done with both but thatching it will be tiresome and very slow using the axe.
    I don't live in a boreal forest.
    And your assumption is correct, I hardly ever fillet my fish, I prefer to scale and gut them. But I will sometimes.

Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, some are bigger than others and they all have the potential to stink.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by OKBushcraft View Post
    You are right. No need waiting for me to spend the entire week before I grab an axe in YOUR forest, I wouldn't even bring my Aranyik.
    Now you are learning.

Shelter building here can be done with both but thatching it will be tiresome and very slow using the axe.
    Show me I am wrong. Make a video. If you make vid, I'll make a response vid. Big knife vid vs. Small axe vid.

And your assumption is correct, I hardly ever fillet my fish, I prefer to scale and gut them.
    You have just grosed me out. Obviously I'm a pickier eater than you.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The machete has no place in the boreal forest. The axe is the only real choice here.

People who say different, have no real experience in the boreal forest. That's a fact!
    Totally agree, but in this Country Bushcraft is a hobby n the boys like to play with shineys
    You brought up an old one here..!

I'm done.