Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: machete or axes waht you working with??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

machete or axes waht you working with??

hi guys and gals

just wondering what you people are cutting and spliting with what works best for you i will be getting one or the other soon i think the machete but could do with a point in the right direction

thanks
    Bush Craft Is For Everyone Its Only Fair To Share!!!

You can't go far wrong with a Golok especially for splitting wood!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

All your base, are belong to us!!!

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I've got a Kukri that I use for Gardening and occasionaly in the field, prefer the above combo though. My old man bought it back as a present from Nepal, The tradional ones look much better I have to say.
    Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and I'm older!

www.northernsoulbushcrafters.co.uk

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Small wood hatchet (Brades Criterion) and a Folding Saw combo. Can do pretty much everything I need with that. Knock up a few wedges and can pretty much split anything.
    Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and I'm older!

www.northernsoulbushcrafters.co.uk

this time of year I'm mostly using a Billhook

If I'm splitting wood then I'll either use an axe or a froe, depending on why I'm splitting it. I have kukris, goloks, machetes, etc, but I like my billhooks. Each country has a big slashing-shopping blade created over the generations to cope with it's native environs, in the UK we have the hook
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

My favourite knife is a Tora Camping Kukri.It does the job of a machete, a knife and a hatchet:

Dave,
    Just had a look at your web site and i see you actually make Billhooks (praise be!). I usually use a Morris 'Newton' for coppicing which does the job just fine. But...and a big but... I've always wanted a handmade Billhook, something that'll stay with me for a long time. Could you tell me, is the outlay worth it, obviously apart from having something nice to sit and smile at?! I'll pretend your advice is un biased !
    Thanks.
    Last edited by GaryBeaner; 11-12-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Didn't address to recipient
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

is it worth having a handmade billhook over a factory made one? Well I s'pose it depends on the individual but I prefer to use my own one to those mass produced hooks I own from a practical POV.

A handmade one can be infinitely better than a mass produced hook, but it does depend on who made it and how it was made.

The two things that modern billhooks fail on is geometry and edge retention. Old hooks irrespective of the edge retention (a factor of steel quality and heat treating) had good geometry and tapered handle to tip and back to edge, so they cut through things easily (not having the thick mass directly behind the edge) and had plenty of mass in the back to aid in the whole balance and efficiency of the swing. Modern hooks tend to be cut from sheet or at best (like Morris') only have one of the two tapers (the distal taper), so allows good balance but doesn't have the edge clearance. Also the mass heat treating means they tend to be tough but don't hold a great edge, they also always need regrinding to make them work at all!

Some folk who make billhooks (i can think of at least one smith, who sell 'professionally handmade tools' and does this)cut them from sheet and do a reasonable job of heat treating, so hold an edge better than a mass produced one, but may not work as well as an old factory made hook because of the geometry. in other words you will be better off buying an old billhook and doing it up or a new factory one and sharpen more often.

The hooks I make are made to the same geometry as the old ones (they start thick at the handle and taper down towards the point and down to the edge) so work very well, but they have the added benefit of modern steel and modern heatreating done on an individual scale. So you can get the best possible quality tool that works efficiently (by design) and hold a great edge without being brittle. Then you need to decide for yourself whether the cost of the thing is worth it to YOU. Sure it works better than any modern factory hook and holds an edge better than any old or new one, but it will cost more like 100 than 30

personally I coppice with a chainsaw and sned with a billhook, but that's just me

horses for courses.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

I use a k-bar kurkri as my main camp knife and it tackles most jobs, also good for digging small holes.

Steve