Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Use a Traditional Flint and Steel

I made one of those strikers the other day at the RV. We noticed that most people hold them up the way you do Ash, but if you hold it up the other way, it affords some protection to your hand.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Trapper
    thanks for that - have often wanted to learn this but had no success. Hadn't even realised it was the steel that 'ignited'.
    excellent.

several quick questions - you quite often can buy these made 'steels' and they arrive oiled. is it better to remove the oil?
    does it work better if the steel is v. slightly rusted or not?
    does the flint need to be nice pure black or will a greyed flint piece work as well? (have a big big lump of Norfolk flint that I picked up and it's quality is variable but been waiting 10 years to make good use of it!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hushwing View Post
    thanks for that - have often wanted to learn this but had no success. Hadn't even realised it was the steel that 'ignited'.
    excellent.

several quick questions - you quite often can buy these made 'steels' and they arrive oiled. is it better to remove the oil?
    does it work better if the steel is v. slightly rusted or not?
    does the flint need to be nice pure black or will a greyed flint piece work as well? (have a big big lump of Norfolk flint that I picked up and it's quality is variable but been waiting 10 years to make good use of it!!)
    1. Yep, remove the oil. It's tiny shavings of the steel that burn hot. Oil can hamper this process.

2. In my experience it's better to have clean steel rather than rust. The rust will soon be worn away tho by the action of striking on the flint.

3. As a rule of thumb, the darker the flint the better the quality. But I have used flint and steel for years as my primary fire lighting kit and have had success with black and brown flint. Even used quartz as an experiment too which worked ok (but poor quality sparks). The real trick is to have a razor edge on the flint. The sharper the flint, the better the sparks in my opinion.

Hope this helps
    Ade.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post

Hope this helps
    Ade.
    Cheers - very helpful. Now can you travel up and light my fires this way any time!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hushwing View Post
    Cheers - very helpful. Now can you travel up and light my fires this way any time!!?
    Lol.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    A cleaner unoxidised surface will produce better sparks, that's why your steel probably came oiled because the seller didn't want the (likely ground) surface to become rusted during storage or shipping, I'd agree; wipe the oil off before using.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Well got my striker and flint today.....eager to try it out and this thread has been of so much use thank you Ashley. |One question if anyone can help.....does anyone know where i can get flint without travelling 12 hours down south and back again ? There must be an easier way ?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Well got my striker and flint today.....eager to try it out and this thread has been of so much use thank you Ashley. |One question if anyone can help.....does anyone know where i can get flint without travelling 12 hours down south and back again ? There must be an easier way ?
    Yes, buy a jungle hammock from Tony, he will ship flint with it :-)

Jokes aside. I use quartz, and I can't really see any diffrence on the sparks, if I find good quartz (nice and shiny bits as oposed to milky white. But milky works also).
    The quartz is more brittle though. But you will find it just about everywhere when you start looking for it. Gravel roads are a good source for it. But I like to find largher chunks that I just smash to pieces with a hammer.

You will need to use thicker chunks with sparks also so it's not so packable in a tin as a flint shards are.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Cheers rune sadly I have a couple of hammocks now and quartz is fairly hard to come by in Yorkshire
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Cheers rune sadly I have a couple of hammocks now and quartz is fairly hard to come by in Yorkshire
    Hence look for it on gravel roads. The gravel is likely to be from somewhere else. So you may find some on the roadsides. Once you start looking for it, it's surprising how much you can actually find. It's the most common mineral on the planet.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum