Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping warm in winter - old technology v new

Keeping warm in winter - old technology v new

Morning all,

We get some long, cold winters here in central Europe and over the years I have collected various items to keep me warm - fleeces, wool, etc. I am not a fan of wool, too itchy for me.

Yesterday morning I headed off to the countryside for a day. Arrived at the bus station early and the bus arrived late. I had 30 minutes waiting in minus 15c but a merino wool t-shirt, micro-fleece and (my christmas present for this year) a Montane extreme smock ket me warm. Into the forest later with the same gear and I was toasty warm. But then I cooled down, added a down gilet and had to wait for the bus home in only minus 8C. I had to march up and down to try and generate some warmth.

Then I remembered the one item in my wardrobe which has endured minus 20C plus windchill and never let me down - a heavy, old sheepskin coat.

I am interested to know what gear / materials / combinations other folks use to stay warm? And to what temperatures and whilst doing which activities? This can include everyday activities and not restricted to bushcraft stuff.

Many thanks,

Jon
    Mark 8:36

First off, you say you got warm, and then you cooled off. And I can see why. I always bring a thick fleece or wool sweather in my back pack. But dress more or less like you when I am moving about and in activity. If I sit down for a rest or to have a brew, on comes the thick sweater to keep me warm. I prefer the wool because it keeps me warm even when wet...

Also I use a jacket with plenty of ventilation options. So mine has zippers under the armpits, and in the sides that I can open up if I get to warm. The trick is always in regulating the heat. That is also the purpose of dressing in layers. So you can shed one if you get warm/ break out a sweat, or to add one or more if too cold.

Else if you don't already have a headover, get one. 50% of your body heat is lost trough your neck and head. Also it can be pulled up to cover your ears if it gets windy. It does really make a difference, even if you allready wear a wool hat and your jacket has a nice, snug hood.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Wool and oilskins. I dont like the flammability of newer stuff to be honest, plus as a uni student i cant afford it. Basically i dont spend small fortunes on lightweight uber-mega-super-space-alien-techno-fabrics! Op shops all the way gents!

If its cold I start out with a cotton t shirt and boxers then thermal long johns and a lumberjack type shirt. Next up i wear long wool hiking socks,combat type trousers then it's on with my leather walking boots. On top I normally wear my quilted barbour with a waxed cotton fleece lined cap(with ear flaps). If its wet and/or really cold i put on (over the top) my waxed cotton barbour jacket and waterproof and fleece lined "force 7 " trousers. I also put on a pair of fingerless gloves. If it's warm then it's baggy arsed shorts,t shirt and my tilley hat! Paul

Tribal Elder
    Synthetic...most of my gear is synthetic. I'm quite active when out so lightweight and breathable is quite high priority. As for flammability it is a problem... I have quite a few melt holes in my trousers from embers flying off the fire. it's not a huge problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    50% of your body heat is lost trough your neck and head.
    Wanna cite your source on that? I find it hard to believe that an area that represents around 12% of your body can be responsible for that much heat loss. I'd be very much interested in the original research.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

My temperate cold weather consists of:

Merino Thermals
    Lined Craghoppers (though they are not my favourite)
    Bridgedale Summit Socks (unless I'm walking far, in which case I use less thick wool ones)
    Trespass close fitting fleece
    Rab double pile fleece
    Windproof jacket (nothing special, hardly use is)
    Northern Ireland gloves (for use)
    Overmittens (for warmth)
    Scrim scarf
    Thinsulate hat
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell View Post
    Wanna cite your source on that? I find it hard to believe that an area that represents around 12% of your body can be responsible for that much heat loss. I'd be very much interested in the original research.
    Always been a well known issue, now it seems like it's a myth...... :S

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...humanbehaviour

Tribal Elder
    I did think it would be "if your wearing clothing then x is lost from your head..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell View Post
    It's what professional survival instructors like you have been telling me over the years.
    I assume it's when wearing clothes, and not covering your neck/head. Leaving that the "only" route for body heat to escape the confines of your clothes...

It's pure logic. The part of your body not covered with clothes, is the part you will lose most heat from.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum