Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use a Firesteel

Excellent video. I wish it had been around, when I bought my first firesteel.

me and the daughter got out firesteel today(our first one ever), so we had to try it out in the garden....she was amazed we could start a small fire without matches or a lighter, to be honest i was well impressed myself!! think we are gonna enjoy this year, loads of bushcrafting to be had.
    great vid on the fire making also, really really informative, not just lighting the fire, but keeping it going and to putting it out.
    really enjoyed these lessons

+1 for the LMF firesteels. I've tried loads and these little ones are the dogs (I do have a US Marine one that throws flames, but that's for a different adventure!)!

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    +1 for the LMF firesteels. I've tried loads and these little ones are the dogs (I do have a US Marine one that throws flames, but that's for a different adventure!)!
    Steve
    What was the name of that one you had with you last year on our trip? It was good
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Just a useful suggestion, when ever you are putting your firesteel somewhere where it might get wet and sit for a while (such as outer pocket of a backpack, in my case), buy yourself a little bottle of clear nail polish and coat the rod. I left mine in exactly where I said, and didn't notice til about 6months later (before I got back into camping after many years), due to rain dampening my firesteel it became heavily pitted and I couldn't use it anymore (ended up breaking it because halfway down the rod was the deepest crater.)

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Just a useful suggestion, when ever you are putting your firesteel somewhere where it might get wet and sit for a while (such as outer pocket of a backpack, in my case), buy yourself a little bottle of clear nail polish and coat the rod. I left mine in exactly where I said, and didn't notice til about 6months later (before I got back into camping after many years), due to rain dampening my firesteel it became heavily pitted and I couldn't use it anymore (ended up breaking it because halfway down the rod was the deepest crater.)
    This is a very good point! - Firesteels contain highly reactive materials and don't like being wet for long periods of time. They're perfectly fine if they fall in a puddle or something just wipe dry after and they can function straight away, but yes don't pack away wet as they can even damage kit next to them.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Im getting things like contain copy right on my youtube videos because I have music on some, Just getting and friend to make up music on his guitar and then add them on my videos so then I have permission to do use it then. - My youtube channel
    bacon on the fire

Trapper
    As a newcomer to the forums, can I say a big thank you for videos like this. When I was in scouts I was expected to be able to light a fire with a firesteel but never managed it, and yet, 20 years later, I can watch your video, buy a firesteel off amazon, and practice in my firepit at home and be able to light a fire.

Bought a mini LMF on the strenght of this, it IS very good, I have always used a big version and wrongly it would appear, (to pull the steel instead of moving the striker is obvious, but I have never done it that way, I will now) Fleabay £5.25 delivered
    very informative, good job Ash
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post

Unfortunately; and this really annoys me - YouTube are now recognising the Spiro music within my videos and are flagging the music as being owned by "Warner Music Group" - this basically means that they will leave the video online BUT only if they get to plaster adverts all round the video (with the revenue they earn going to YouTube & Warner Music Group). It's immensley frustrating because years ago I did what I thought was right by approaching the band Spiro first, explaining what I wanted to use their music for and asked their permission (which they gave)... but now it appears that even the band don't own the copyright to their own music! Some other money-making label technically owns the copyright.
    It's the same with "GEMA" in germany. I often watch music-videos from bands that I actually don't know on youtube, to see if I like their music or not. But even if the band itself has uploaded a music-video and put the link on their website, you can not watch the video in germany, because the GEMA don't gives the permission....
    That shows, like you said before, that even the band itself don't own the rights to their music....
    In my opinion that's an impudence...

But back to topic...
    Really good video! =) Thanks for uploading it!
    Last edited by Psycho; 29-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.