Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use a Firesteel

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Lightbulb How to use a Firesteel

I've made a new video continuing on with my Bushcraft Basics series...

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I managed to watch it, and the sound was in synch for me. It's a great video on learning to use a firesteel. Wish I'd seen this back along when I first got mine. Persistence taught me how to get sparks, and I think you chaps taught me how to pull the rod rather than destroy the tinder bundle. That was a Winter gathering at least two years ago now. Oh man I loved that day down in Cornwall with you wonderful people.

You didn't go into the pros or cons of the ridged versus smooth strikers and I would like to know if one is better than the other. The one I have cuts grooves in the rod, and I don't like that so I'm thinking I might switch to using the spine of my knife.

Was it just me, or have you also changed the music now? I think you tweeted that although the band said you could use the music, YouTube are claiming copyright infringement? I swear some record labels do music more harm than good. Ho hum.

Just cant get the staff today
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    Just cant get the staff today
    Right! - Your Fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You didn't go into the pros or cons of the ridged versus smooth strikers and I would like to know if one is better than the other.
    Good point! I do make a plan/script to try and remember everything but it's hard to make sure you cover everything I do infact prefer a flat-edged striker, I rarely use my knife-spine, but use a small flat striker attached to my LightMyFire mini firesteel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Was it just me, or have you also changed the music now? I think you tweeted that although the band said you could use the music, YouTube are claiming copyright infringement? I swear some record labels do music more harm than good. Ho hum.
    The music has certainly changed - I hope you like it, I do

Unfortunately; and this really annoys me - YouTube are now recognising the Spiro music within my videos and are flagging the music as being owned by "Warner Music Group" - this basically means that they will leave the video online BUT only if they get to plaster adverts all round the video (with the revenue they earn going to YouTube & Warner Music Group). It's immensley frustrating because years ago I did what I thought was right by approaching the band Spiro first, explaining what I wanted to use their music for and asked their permission (which they gave)... but now it appears that even the band don't own the copyright to their own music! Some other money-making label technically owns the copyright.

So now I've decided some Royalty free music so that my viewers don't have to get plagued with ads.

The other thing to note is - for nearly a year previous to this happening, YouTube have been constantly pestering me sending me emails to let me know a lot of my videos are popular and I should become a 'YouTube Partner' which basically means they plaster Adverts all round your videos and you get to make money from them. I choose to purposively ignore this emails and not do this because I knew it would degrade from the viewers experience & I've always wanted to make NBC videos the best I could... so I choose not to monetise on my videos, but now I didn't, they've decided to monetise themselves off my work - You've got to love corporations eh?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman] You've got to love corporations eh?
    Firstly you cant sack me I'm sackless and I know what you mean about corporations but to be honest mate why dont you get a bit of money for what you do everyone else does and it doesnt degrade the fact that your a really nice guy But only if I can have a share
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Great video.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Trapper
    I'm with bencasey2001 on this. Why shouldn't you make a bit of money from your videos with a bit of advertisement revenue? I love the work this site does but having lost my job in recent months I can't offer financial support. Take some of the corporations money and do what you want with it. What's stopping you from reinvesting it in the site or just spending it on a bit of kit you've always fancied? I know what I'd do.

I can understand what Ash means though. You tube has been getting a bit of flak lately from over advertising. It's refreshing to get on a video where you don't have to close a little pop up.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Sweet vid Bud
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Excellent, Well done Ash, its all about the basics. Get them dialled down and be unconciously competent in them and you are in a great position to start experimenting!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.