Thread: WIP Bow Drill

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

WIP Bow Drill

hello,
    WIP two Bow Drill fire starters, one from Pine got the drill & bow just the hearth board to make with a small piece off cut for ember pan (optional) & I thought 2 strips of 'Light My Fire' Maya sticks? I was given a couple of packs of these with a tin of Maya Dust recently as a gift & thought about trying out 2 pieces of the sticks shaping one just now for the drill & still to finish the narrow hearth board with the other. Idea for a ready made drill, Wilkinson's gardening isle, two cheap garden dibbles with twine markers, the dibbles 'pine' make good drills & the twine could be used for your bow.
    Maybe the 2nd dibble shaped for the hearth board? With the dibbles might have to remove the top end where there's a deep indent where the twine is wound around 'optional' other than that you have a great drill for a bow drill fire starter. Will try these out later, next venture outdoors.
    Regards
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden Dibbers Wooden.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	9592

sweet idea with the dibbles, ill check wilko out asap as been toying with the idea of a bow drill, i have two old walnut chair legs that are screaming bow drill/ buck saw combo.

any chance of a few pics when you have your project complete please

thanks

Madz

Sounds good, looking forward to the results and or pics of the set up.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I forgot about this post. The strips of alleged 'Light My Fire' Maya sticks I was given a couple of packs of these 2013 with a tin of Maya Dust the strips weren't 'fat wood' or 'Maya' as suggested, unsure what the wood was (foreign source) they did however make great tinder & an excellent spindle & hearth set when cut & shaped May 2014. The Maya Dust in the tin was 'Maya dust.' I did understand that fat wood was difficult to use as a bow drill BTW from the outset. However.. I've now been given the same amount of 'real' Maya wood which I've been shaving as fine as can strips from the sticks plus grating such using an old carrot grater fine edge into a kind of sawdust shaving & saving such in a baccy tin for later.
    *Used grater as I don't have a rasp file at hand..
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 07-06-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Broken Link