Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Signs of the onset of winter

Signs of the onset of winter

Or maybe winter has already set in!!

Over here in central Europe, we have had five consecutive days of freezing fog, everything is white under heavy frosts and there is an inch of ice on the rain barrel. Unfortunately, there is also inversion so the smog is trapped and people with breathing difficulties are having increased problems.

How is it in your part of the world?

Jon
    Mark 8:36

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    No such signs here. In the south of England, we are still regularly getting daytime temperatures of 14°C during the day and night time temperatures in double figures.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

When I was in the Loire Valley in early September, the leaves were already coming off the trees. Here in East Anglia, the trees have only just started to drop their leaves in the last 2 to 3 weeks. We haven't had any decent strong winds to strip the leaves yet; nor have we had any really cold nights. We could also do with rain as the fields are terribly dry.
    Last edited by happybonzo; 17-11-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

It isnt to bad in the North East of England but the trees have lost there leaves I'm collecting them at the minute for compost
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Trapper
    I have a line of oaks at the bottom of the garden. I can see about 10 trees. One has lost most of it's leaves, a couple are starting to turn brown but the rest are still bright green with no sign of autumn.

Tribesman
    Winter thrushes, have been arriving from the continent for several weeks. Always a sign of a change in weather.

Happybonzo, you can happily have some rain from the N/West.
    We have more than enough
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Huh, do you southerners want our recent frosty nights (although there has been a sudden spike in temps), trees in my back garden are shedding leaves, and we have had quite a bit of rain, lots of temp inversions in the valley.
    [

Still waiting for winter. Out in the front garden today and watched a bumblebee going from flower to flower.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Still waiting for winter. Out in the front garden today and watched a bumblebee going from flower to flower.
    I know. It's the worst winter ever.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    We haven't had any frost yet. Not had to scrape the windscreen since February.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.