Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Tea ¬ Wild

Here's an OakAshandThorn original ...

*All of the following plant parts should be dried for best taste:
    1/2 tbsp Yarrow leaves and flowers
    1/2 tbsp Goldenrod (Sweet Goldenrod, Solidago odora, is best) leaves and flowers
    1/2 tbsp Spearmint leaves
    1/2 tbsp Catmint leaves and flowers
    1/2 tbsp Wild Rose (Sweetbrier, Rosa eglanteria, is excellent) leaves

- For 12 cups
    Makes a fantastic brew from mid-spring to late summer

Or if I want something simpler, I'll go with 1tbsp of dried Yarrow leaves and flowers (for 8 cups) - gently cooling and very refreshing, like Peppermint but milder.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Let your mate drink the first cupper?
    Tea over screen now!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    I've wanted to try pine needle tea too, but I understand some of the varieties are toxic. How do you identify them?
    Toxic ? As far as I know, none of the varieties in North America or Europe are toxic. But out of curiosity, who told you some species were poisonous?

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Today I took a stroll in the woods and came across a shelter and fire pit, so i sat made a small fire and made some nettle tea for the very first time, not sure I did it in the correct fashion but it actually tasted pretty good Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624300.553630.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	7760
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624425.489403.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  24.1 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624445.099496.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	7762

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624599.833362.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	7763
    I think I'll be doing "wild tea" more often

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Today I took a stroll in the woods and came across a shelter and fire pit, so i sat made a small fire and made some nettle tea for the very first time, not sure I did it in the correct fashion but it actually tasted pretty good Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624300.553630.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	7760
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624425.489403.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624445.099496.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	7762

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365624599.833362.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	7763
    I think I'll be doing "wild tea" more often
    Nice one Dan, you sure the fire was big enough ? .......LOL
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

It may look big but it wasn't, just a few sticks that where left behind there was a huge circle of rocks full up with ashes think I stumbled apon some ones regular camp was a bench made and a shelter

cool you will have to show me when I am over next
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

I've heard others state that certain pine trees are toxic and you shouldnt use the needles and nuts from these as they can do real damage. Now this was off videos off YouTube, after a search on how to make pine needle tea. Now im not one to believe everything i see and hear on the internet, but it has made me abit worried about having a go at making it. I can't remember what type of pine trees are ment to be toxic but that's why im in two minds about doing it every time im right next to a pine tree ready to have a go ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ward View Post
    I've heard others state that certain pine trees are toxic and you shouldnt use the needles and nuts from these as they can do real damage. Now this was off videos off YouTube, after a search on how to make pine needle tea. Now im not one to believe everything i see and hear on the internet, but it has made me abit worried about having a go at making it. I can't remember what type of pine trees are ment to be toxic but that's why im in two minds about doing it every time im right next to a pine tree ready to have a go ha ha
    As far as I know, no Pines in North America or Europe are at all toxic. Some may be unpalatable, but not poisonous. I don't call Larches, Douglas-Firs, Spruces, Firs, and Hemlocks (Tsuga spp) "Pines", but these are also not poisonous, though some species may not be as palatable as others.
    The Yews, on the other hand, are the only toxic conifers (though I cannot speak for Baldcypress, Sequoia, and Redwood). My guess is that the people you are referring to cannot tell the difference between Yews and other conifers, or perhaps they lump all conifers together under the term "Pine" (identifying a Yew as a "Pine", creating confusion). Pines are their own separate group under the genus Pinus.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 12-04-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo >:(

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Thanks hornashandthorn, good advise there and tomorrow i think I'll have a go at making some pine tea as yoda once said "wise you are"