Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Tea ¬ Wild

Bushcraft Tea ¬ Wild

Nothings easier then dipping a PG tips in a mug of boiling water, but unfortunatly thats not always the case while wild camping as i've found out;

Pine Needle Tea - Get a few sprigs of Pine Needles and slice in half with your knife or a rock, then put in your mug of boiling hot water and crush as much as you can with a spoon or a twig? don't boil the tea anymore or else you will start boiling off vital Vitamin C. Pine Needle's have the same amount of vitamin C as half a douzen lemons ;D Pine Needle tea a day keeps the colds away!

Nettle Tea - Get a few baby nettle leaves, be careful though these will sting you! perhaps wear gloves or pull them off with some sticks. then put them in some boiling hot water and mash them up.

Dandelion Tea - The edible parts are the roots, leaves, flower head and petals, don't eat the stems as they have the milky liquid inside them and this will upset your stomach even more so then any other parts of the plant. baby dandelions are the best as they aren't as bitter. Just be sure to make sure you don't get any sickness from this tea as you'll become even more dehydrated from being sick.

Mint Tea - I've taken a small baggie of Mint leaves before while wildcamping and made a really nice minty water brew ;P can't beat it especially with a nice warm fire and some soup.
    Last edited by WombleWill; 14-11-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: making subheadings clearer
    Know more, carry less!

Hi will good tips for the budding wild camper Alb..........TONY

I've wanted to try pine needle tea ever since seeing Ray Mears do it on the telly. Can you describe the flavour? Do you think kids would enjoy it, or should I lace it with sugar?

I fancy a Pine Needle Tea,i've just put the kettle on
    A bad day on the hills is better than a good day in work any time.

Remember pain is only weakness leaving the body.

It can taste acidic and can upset your stomach so I wouldn't advise giving it to kids, it's vitamin C enriched but it still isn't worth getting a runny tummy over, but it's quite an unpleasant taste if you use older needles, the young ones are the best so I would add sugar to it... And Enjoy!
    It's definitely personal preference to taste but I don't mind the taste without sugar. And there's often an abundance of the stuff in woodlands so it's a easier drink and better for you than water!
    Thanks for all the posts!
    Last edited by WombleWill; 14-11-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added a few more points ;)
    Know more, carry less!

Yeah , very nice subheadings Womblewill !!!

Very worthwhile spending the time on ... Ooooooo ... I'll have to do mine like that in future !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Quote Originally Posted by WombleWill View Post
    Nothings easier then dipping a PG tips in a mug of boiling water, but unfortunatly thats not always the case while wild camping as i've found out;

Pine Needle Tea - Get a few sprigs of Pine Needles and slice in half with your knife or a rock, then put in your mug of boiling hot water and crush as much as you can with a spoon or a twig? don't boil the tea anymore or else you will start boiling off vital Vitamin C. Pine Needle's have the same amount of vitamin C as half a douzen lemons ;D Pine Needle tea a day keeps the colds away!

Nettle Tea - Get a few baby nettle leaves, be careful though these will sting you! perhaps wear gloves or pull them off with some sticks. then put them in some boiling hot water and mash them up.

Dandelion Tea - The edible parts are the roots, leaves, flower head and petals, don't eat the stems as they have the milky liquid inside them and this will upset your stomach even more so then any other parts of the plant. baby dandelions are the best as they aren't as bitter. Just be sure to make sure you don't get any sickness from this tea as you'll become even more dehydrated from being sick.

Mint Tea - I've taken a small baggie of Mint leaves before while wildcamping and made a really nice minty water brew ;P can't beat it especially with a nice warm fire and some soup.
    Great recipe ideas - do you sometimes grow your own ingredients for your teas or do you buy the bags of tea always? I wonder because I thought that it might be a great idea to grow some flowers uk and leaves and other ingredients to make teas for one's traveling adventures? Wouldn't that be much cheaper considering the cost for camping that increased enormously in the last past years.

I made Acorn coffee a couple of years back and must say that I was very surprised at how palatable it was. I really like pine needle tea too, especially after it has cooled a little on a summers evening..

Ade

My Aunt has a type of mint that grows in her garden which has a distinct chocolate flavor, makes a fantastic tea. Just about any mint makes a great tea. Best if dried first, though.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    My Aunt has a type of mint that grows in her garden which has a distinct chocolate flavor, makes a fantastic tea. Just about any mint makes a great tea. Best if dried first, though.
    Chocolate mint tea sounds good..

Chamomile tea is my fav, and nettle is surprisingly good too.