Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I have had many a pair of boots in my time, From Expensive Brasha's and Meindl to Cheap'o' hi-tec, Leather, suede, fabric. Best by far for comfort have been the Meindl and Lowes.

However for full. functionallity and comfort then I just love Issue boots the best. I'm fortunate that they actually fit me quite well. Have walked the Pennine way in them, Did the Nijmegan marches in them and various Patrols, best of all walked/jogged 100km in 18 hours across the southdowns. Not one blister!!! Kept my feet dry and no twisted ankles. A bargain if you can get hold of a good second hand or even first pair cheap. The Lowes are just as good but more expensive
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

For warm weather I use Magnum jungle boots. For cold weather I use Highlander Vector Mountain boots. I used to use pro-boots for cold and wet weather but quality of the later version is somewhat lacking. Trying to find a waterproof boot that is made for summer use but thus far unsuccessful. I'll probably just get some waterproof socks for the jungle boots. I also use OTB Odhin boots when canoeing, though the jungle boots also work well.

The odd thing is, I've either needed or wanted to replace all my boot laces with utility cord or para cord. They just don't seem to make laces like they used to.
    Last edited by sabot; 03-12-2010 at 08:10 PM.

good old fashioned army issue boots all the way for me have walked/marched many many miles in em and no worries at all summer or winter and they last forever if looked after and if properly polished can be waterproof they also offer unrivalled support for the ankles

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Bernie & others. I think I'm gona give some issue boots a go next
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Scarpa walking boots 'cos they ahve extra wide fitting!!
    Mark 8:36

I find wellies are like a sort of "outdoor slipper" in that they are easy to get on and off and quite comfortable. However I do find they are not right for longer distances or trying to go anywhere quietly. On warm nights I will often use a pair of beat up old hi-tec trainers, when the weather is worse any good quality leather boot will do for me.

You should try the Norwegian Army M77 marching boots. They are a little hard to find outside of Norway, But they are great boots that have never failed me.
    http://www.alfasko.no/uniform/milit-...-u-marsjst-vel
    http://www.norskdesign.no/industrial...e3002-424.html

I recently got a pair of Le Chameau goretex lined hiking boots from an outdoor shop... reduced as it was the last pair in size 46. They are excellent, warm, waterproof, comfortable and robust. I usually wear with a pair of zip up gaiters over the top...
    cheers
    Gareth

I love wellies too but for walking, I use Brasher Super-Lite's as they're really comfy and weight next to nowt when they're on. Mine are a mkI but the mkII info's here:

http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/p...gtx-r-supaiimn

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

My absolute favouate boots have to be Magnums, i have a pair of part leather stealth, and they are amazing, there warm in cold weather and not to hot in warm weather(not that we get to much up here!), also they give great ankle support.

Robb