Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: anyone here hunt with a catapult?

@ experienced catapult hunters : I know lead round bullets are mostly used with catapult when killing is intended, but what kind of natural projectile would work best, if you're running out of bullets?

I think round pebbles may be ok... Do they absolutely have to be perfectly round? Have you ever tried to shoot with just any stone found on the ground?

Cheers
    Ben.

pebbles of nearly round will work fine,the problem is consistancy is essential for accuracy,each pebble will weigh different.the flatter the stone the more erratic the flight,and if very flat it will resonate with a loud buzz,i think in a survival situation i would try making clay balls ,i have met folk who have used hazel nuts but given the amount of misses expected you could be better off just eating them!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Tribal Elder
    Probably too late but are the catapaults still on the go?

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    given the amount of misses expected you could be better off just eating them!
    You're making a very good point!

Say I shoot twenty meters far from my target. Given the impressive power of the catapult shot, is accuracy really affected on so short a distance?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchBen View Post
    You're making a very good point!

Say I shoot twenty meters far from my target. Given the impressive power of the catapult shot, is accuracy really affected on so short a distance?
    too true it is! there are just so many posible variables,draw length,tempurature of the bands,length of the bands,size shape and weight of the projectiles,anchor point ,wind and all manner of others,thats why i recomend consistancy in the set up used.

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Probably too late but are the catapaults still on the go?
    yes mate ,pm me.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.