Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ontario deer hunt

Josh, that's the best explanation yet. I'll keep that for reference.
    The 870 Express is a winner. Geese, turkeys, deer, it'll do it all. I never heard of a spring deer season, but good luck. Our deer season here is only November.

BTW, we got 2 more yesterday, final count 6. Freezer is currently full.

Typical Canadian................

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    Josh, that's the best explanation yet. I'll keep that for reference.
    The 870 Express is a winner. Geese, turkeys, deer, it'll do it all. I never heard of a spring deer season, but good luck. Our deer season here is only November.

BTW, we got 2 more yesterday, final count 6. Freezer is currently full.
    Wow, two more! Congrats! Up till now it's been just my father-in-law bringing the venison to the table, hopefully next year I can join in and increase the bounty. And apparently I misspoke. There is no spring season for deer here. I may have been thinking of fall and spring turkey seasons. Bear in mind that I've not hunted yet, just lived vicariously through friends and family who do.

In New York, if one hunts with bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun, the season can stretch from the second week of October until the second to last week of December.

Is pretty typical of up here too, many deer hunters take up the crossbow, bow, etc. in order to enjoy the extra two to three weeks of hunting season past what is allowed with a rifle.

I don't hunt BTW, but am getting outfitted in case I need to (just got back into archery, been away from it for over 16 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Is pretty typical of up here too, many deer hunters take up the crossbow, bow, etc. in order to enjoy the extra two to three weeks of hunting season past what is allowed with a rifle.

I don't hunt BTW, but am getting outfitted in case I need to (just got back into archery, been away from it for over 16 years.)
    If you get a beret you can make some videos and put them on you tube shooting at a cardboard target.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    If you get a beret you can make some videos and put them on you tube shooting at a cardboard target.
    WooHoo! Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning. Avoid the warrior wannabe, and watch the ontario deer hunt instead. Much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    Ya, I could do that, I have full combat gear from my airsoft days, but I'd have to make sure the area is clear of other cardboard while I shoot at the target, because they last thing I'd want would be to get flanked by cardboard tubes, and a gas mask isn't something I have........ the cardboard might use mustard gas!!

Alone in the Wilderness moa_shooter's Avatar

Ontario Deer Hunting

Great site...

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    ...Our deer season here is only November...
    Actually, depending on your hunting method the deer season is much longer. I am in South Western Ontario and our whitetail season for bows starts October 1st and runs till December 31st with a one week break during the first week in November and December for the shotgun season. Here's a picture of my tree stand early in the season.

The way I understand it, a deer will detect danger by sight, sound or scent. In order to be spooked they often need to detect two of these three variables. So they may see you but will not be spooked unless they can smell or hear you as well. Once I had four does walking all around my stand (one of them was actually licking the bottom of the ladder) but were not spooked. I know they could see me but I had masked my scent and stayed motionless. Unfortunately I did not have an antlerless tag at the time.

i had a couple of them stands on my land in Germany but not as big we used to see Deer all the time roaming around it was great
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses