Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario deer hunt

Ontario deer hunt

Hey, we're in the midst of deer hunting season here in eastern Ontario, so I made a few video clips of the first 2 days of the hunt.
    So far we've bagged four; I came home a day early for some work commitments. The weather has been much warmer than normal,
    which often means the deer don't move as much.
    We have a group of about ten guys hunting, usually 6 or 7 on watches and 3 or 4 dogging the bush to push the deer; really
    the only way to hunt in this terrain...too many hiding spots for them. We hunt an area of about a thousand hectares, so sometimes
    we get lucky and drop one where one of the quad-bikes can get to, but that's not what happened this year. I shot one way back
    in there and we had some serious dragging to do. Then another guy shot one and it ended up in the water at the bottom of a ravine.
    I went to chill out and go fishing one afternoon and got only one pike, but the serenity was great so I didn't mind the poor fishing.
    On day 3, two of us saw bears, probably the same bear; it ran away from the other guy but was a little standoffish with me. I was on
    a dogging run in the northwest end of the bush where he probably wouldn't see a person any other time of the year; the bear was not
    aggressive, just not real interested in getting out of my way. Then that night it was a racoon circus outside the camp at midnight...
    a mother and three little ones chasing around the yard and waking me up. Besides that I had also fishers on two different occasions
    come up near me on my watch.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Treefrog, thanks for sharing that with us. I must admit, I rarely click on Youtube videos when they're posted but I was intrigued by yours. You all seem to wear very bright clothing when out shooting. I appreciate that this makes it easier to see your fellow hunters but doesn't this scare off the deer you're trying to hunt??

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Good vids

I like the dog.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hey Treefrog, thanks for sharing that with us. I must admit, I rarely click on Youtube videos when they're posted but I was intrigued by yours. You all seem to wear very bright clothing when out shooting. I appreciate that this makes it easier to see your fellow hunters but doesn't this scare off the deer you're trying to hunt??

Martin
    You'd think so, eh Martin. But it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference; if you stand motionless with or without blaze orange clothing, they still
    approach as if they don't see you. It's only movement that spooks them, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    I like the dog.
    He was a cute little bugger. His name is Jed and he got lost from another hunt camp near us so he clung to me...shaking like a leaf with his
    tail between his legs; he may have had a sniff of a wolf pack, he sure was scared. This is a lot of bush to get lost in, maybe 5-10 thousand hectares
    between roads. A young fellow arrived thursday on a quad bike looking for him, very happy to find him, probably put a lot of training into him;
    the dog seemed very lean and fit and quite obedient.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    You'd think so, eh Martin. But it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference; if you stand motionless with or without blaze orange clothing, they still
    approach as if they don't see you. It's only movement that spooks them, apparently.
    Wow!! I'm amazed at that. Thanks for the explanation.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I went on a Shoot in France this year. Everyone was wearing DayGlo Orange bits of clothing. Animals don't see Orange but it still doesn't stop French Hunters from shooting a few of their compadres each year.
    As to their "hunting" dogs: Before the Drives started all the hunters were boasting as to the wonderful attributes of their various hounds. As soon as the Drives started, the dogs were off and were totally uncontrollable Two days later there were still a couple of hounds wandering around lost; apparently this is not unusual.
    It was a bit funny and also a bit sad as on the following Monday there were quite a few Hunters wandering around Decathlon buying DayGlo collars for their dogs. I had my dog wearing a Fluro vest thing and even then I thought that he stood a good chance of being potted
    It was a bit of an eye opener as the Hunters shoot across roads! They also take large amounts of food and drink with them. I don't mind the food part of it but drink and guns I have always thought to be a dangerous combination.
    The hunters were also intrigued by my IR rifle scope. They hadn't seen one to use before. Maybe just as well as they were dangerous enough in daylight!
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Hunting in France sounds remarkably similar to here. Beer is a key component to an enjoyable hunt.
    Dogs inevitably go missing and almost always show up; some find the perils of porcupines, bears, etc. Years ago we were minutes from
    having a hound be devoured by a wolf pack. We heard the wolves behind the camp somewhere and the sound of a hound in amongst
    the noise. We showed up minutes later to find the pack circling for the kill, so we fired into the air and scattered them. That sorry
    hound was never quite the same after that.

Hey Treefrog, just bought myself a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge not two days ago intending to catch the spring deer season here in NY. (Maybe turkeys too.) Looks like a very successful opening for you and the gang, well done!

In regard to the hunters wearing the blaze orange, here's a more technical explanation copied from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website:

"Deer have no red-sensitive cone cells in their eyes, so they can't tell red or orange from green and brown. In addition to having this kind of red-green color blindness, deer have different sensitivity to various wavelengths of light than humans. Deer see short wavelength colors such as blue (and even ultra-violet, which humans cannot even see) brighter than humans do, but deer are less sensitive to longer wavelengths such as orange and red, so these colors look darker to deer than they do to humans. Fluorescent colors like hunter orange look bright to humans because they absorb UV rays we can't see and turn them into longer wavelengths we can see. So, hunter orange reflects less UV that deer see well and more of the rays deer don't see well."

Best of luck out there!

Josh