Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hudson bay/blanket pack/roll

Hudson bay/blanket pack/roll

This is something I wouldn`t mind trying. I`ve watched the vid below a few times and there are a few more on YT along similar lines. Just wondering if anyone else uses them ?
    I`m sort of edging towards minimal purely because when carrying a large pack it sometimes gets tiring/uncomfortable and I`m concentrating on putting one foot in front of another instead of taking in the surroundings. Last week I went for a walk and took just a small day pack with the bare essentials in, I hardly noticed it on my back. There`s also the possible advantage that I`d be relying on skills rather than extra kit

I did a couple nights with just a WWII blanket and an IPK sheet few years ago, it was good to try it once but I prefer to have my toys and comforts

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I did a couple nights with just a WWII blanket and an IPK sheet few years ago, it was good to try it once but I prefer to have my toys and comforts
    Yes the comfort thing did make me wonder if I`d manage. Years ago I used to go on quite a few motorbike rallies and I used a sleeping bag and bivi bag rolled up and bungeed to the forks, it wasn`t much bigger than the roll in the video but was very cosy to use even in inclement weather if a little restrictive. Found this vid of an easy way to pitch a tarp which would give me more room

Last edited by delboy; 01-12-2010 at 10:40 PM.

I use a hudson type roll for my motorcycling overnighters. 8 x 10 tarp, goretex bivvi bag (british army) and a lightweight sleeping bag. I also have a swedish cook set with trangia stove with all the makings stored in it and a first aid kit. Six tent pegs and an adjustable hiking pole. Instead of tying the roll up with cordage i use four bungees. The whole pack weighs about 12lbs and is about 60cm x 12cm. I do have an old rifle sling which can be clipped to the bungees for carrying but ive never used it as i strap the lot to the bike.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

I think i am going to try this llater this year, always looking for ways to lighten ma load, so this should be perfect.

Robb

Hobo
    For speed and easy of setting up and packing away I've put my stuff together -

Fench Army goretex bivvi containing lightweight (-7 rated) sleeping bag and deflated 3/4 size Therma rest. I roll it up and bind it with two bungies. I've attached a strap to the bungies for easy carrying.

Saves stuffing stuff in sacks and packing in rucksack. Seems to work fine

Daz

I have added a highlander foil sleeping mat to avoid either using my self-inflating mat (which is bulky and dosent go in the roll) or going without (which is uncomfortable) - its for insulation only as its very thin - but it packs into next to nothing. I havent tried it in anger but have a meet next month when i will.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Tribal Elder
    That's an awesome video. Guy has an epic accent too. Shame dont really have enough wilderness to wander around with a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    I have added a highlander foil sleeping mat to avoid either using my self-inflating mat (which is bulky and dosent go in the roll) or going without (which is uncomfortable) - its for insulation only as its very thin - but it packs into next to nothing. I havent tried it in anger but have a meet next month when i will.
    I have one of the highlander foil folders. Like you point out, it's very, very thin, but I found if you find a decent spot, like a natural depression in the ground (that stops you rolling about too much) or a good bed of moss or bracken under you, it's ok.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

He has some great videos on budget bushcraft/survival, I spent a whole evening once watching all the stuff on his channel. A good guy and a good teacher.