Thread: Sharpening query

Question Sharpening query

Does anyone know of a simple way, sharpener, or system that makes scandi grind sharpening easier? I just got a Condor Sapien that needs a little sharpening, but I don't know how to sharpen that particular type of grind. I have a Samurai Shark that I use for normal edges, but it wont work on scandi grinds. Thanks for the help, mates.

A few good water benchstones for home and a Fällkniven DC4 or Finnish Västilä stone for out and about.

I have yet to try a "quick and simple" sharpening system that works well for scandi grind. Fortunally the scandi grind is the easiest grind to sharpen on a regular bench- or pocket stone.

I agree with Jakob, the Finnish Västilä stones are great. I recently bought one and have been very impressed by it!
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

bushcraftboy
    I have the DC4 and just tilt the knife until the bevel meets the stone flat, I was bad when I first started, but now (4~ weeks later) I can sharpen then hair cutting sharp.

This helped.

Although I have to say, I've seen alot of complaints on the recent batches of Fallknifen DC3 and DC4's, my DC4 was ok, but the ceramic side is very badly uneven and had little bumps on it so I used another stone to smooth it out.
    Last edited by bushcraftboy; 10-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.

THis is a much better example of how to properly sharpen Scandi ground knives:

Sean Mulhall's videos on knife sharpening with Jon Mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzARsyFoEic

Alone in the Wilderness
    Wet/dry sandpaper glued to a hard surface is a cheap method. Or if you want to convex it a little glue it a piece of leather or mouse pad.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Funny how people recommend Japanese waterstones yet use them differently than they are supposed to be, this vid shows the proper technique for Japanese waterstones

Hobo
    Underside of a ceramic mug and a buttload of patience.
    A dull mind in a man is like a dull edge on a blade... useless.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Talking of Finnish vastila stones is there anywhere in the UK that sells them?

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Talking of Finnish vastila stones is there anywhere in the UK that sells them?
    I don't know of anyplace that sells them in the U.K., But You could always look overseas.
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."