Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wild Thought

A Wild Thought

Hi Guys

I'm planning on going to Africa in Jan (Gambia I think) I know the normal way is to fly and then go to a hotel But you all know me and I was thinking what if I was to try and get there a different way So has anyone any idea on what problems could be faced from weather to anything or would it be dead easy just jump in a car do a bit of driving catch the odd ferry and then be there.

Or would I need a bit more planning LOL So any feed back and tips would be welcome
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Tribal Elder
    you'd need a few visas... Also very real threat of being carjacked or something....

Tribesman
    Hi Ben

Gambia is a great country, especially during our winter.
    Don't think I would want to go overland though, the Sahara would be crazy hot.
    I know people who have stopped off in Senegal whilst on cruises. Just depends how long you want to spend travelling, I guess.
    Anyway, sounds like a great trip. Hope you enjoy yourself.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    you'd need a few visas... Also very real threat of being carjacked or something....
    I suppose I better check a map But I will probs have to fly so the visa there is sorted. I'm of to have a look into it though I did look in to getting a cargo ship there and that came in about a 1000 quid for a round trip.

Tribesman
    Oh, don't forget to take plenty of pens, the kids love them.
    I even paid for a river crossing in pens there once.

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    Oh, don't forget to take plenty of pens, the kids love them.
    I even paid for a river crossing in pens there once.
    Ahha someone who has done it so what did you do I have my name down for the VSO at the min I'm just waiting to hear back from them but a mate of mine lives down there and said I should visit him, and I once read a book where one of our Generals travelled over land and stuff to saudia I think it was. So I have alweays fancied trying something like that

Tribesman
    I'm envious Ben, it's a great place especially for birdwatching.
    Some great wild places. There's a camp up river called Tendaba. They have tshirts with the slogan....Tendaba camp, greatest place on earth. 10,000,000 mosquitoes can't be wrong!!!

You've been warned

Oh Im used to Mosis LOL They just bite and leave big itchy bumps well they do in the UK I know Africa is a bit worse so I would need Jabs and stuff And my mate is in Banjul so I should be ok for accom when I get there

Think a drive is possible with loads of planning, however if driving would go the Landrover route, or a Toyota.
    Both kitted with lots of kit. And if possible do it with at least one other that you get on with.
    Good luck whatever you do and just enjoy.

To add to earlier advice I would say take plenty of bargaining items. Before I was born my parents lived in Nigeria for a couple of years, and I think everything that happens in Africa only does so after something has "changed hands" regardless of whether the recipient is just doing his paid job or not. Maybe it's a reflection of the true values of their currencies?
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.