Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1st time camping out.

Banned
    Obviously:

139 Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.E+W

(1)Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

bushcraftboy
    I bet even if I took a legal knife, if I was seen with it, people would not be happy. But I suppose your meant to be discreet with it.

Banned
    Take sandwiches and a thermos flask as apparently you may neither cut up your food nor heat it while camping.

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Take sandwiches and a thermos flask as apparently you may neither cut up your food nor heat it while camping.
    It would be more fun camping in my back garden...
    Last edited by bushcraftboy; 08-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Fair play. You clearly know more about this young man and the Criminal Justice Act 1988 than I do. I withdraw all of my former comments. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Martin
    I'm not sure why, you would want to withdraw your remarks Martin. They were obviously made with B/boys best intrest at heart.
    I too hope he has the permission and support of those close to him.
    I hope B/boy reads your post and realises the wisdom and commonsense contained within it.
    To encourage a young lad along this route, without knowing all the circumstances, could cause real problems.

Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Banned
    Do I then understand that you would like to have people in general who are under 18 not to have a legal penknife with them while camping? perhaps we should ask Ashley to post this as a proscription at the head of the website as it is so important. So all you fond parents happy to have your children learn how to handle a legal penknife must confiscate them at once as some on this forum know more than the law of the land.

Yes it is a touchy subject but being craven is not the answer.

Tribesman
    i don't see craven as the issue Edwin. More the safety and wellbeing of a young man, whose personal circumstances, are not ours to speculate on.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

I have brought my granddaughter her own mora knife, she is only 7. The difference is she does not carry it in public, if we are in private woods then she can carry it, I am also continually teaching her that it is a tool and how to use it and when to use it.
    It is my responsibility to help teach but to also make her aware of the law and why she should have respect and treat things in the right manner.
    Well that's my take on the knife debate, anyhow BB use your common sense and enjoy going out, if by yourself just use a pocket knife that is legal, and unless you do something daft I don't think the old bill is going out to hunt you down.

Following this thread is agony!

I think we might be missing the point. This young fella wants to go camping and bushcrafting for the first time. He is keen as mustard! I was at his age. He wants to sharpen some sticks with his knife, rub two boy scouts together and make a fire, cook his evening meal on the fire he made out of boy scouts. He's so keen he's prepared to camp and sleep in the wood on his own because he can't find a mate to go with him - admirable in my view.

We don't seem to be helping him much by quoting laws and going in ever decreasing circles argueing the finer points.

He hasn't got a mate to go with him and the venue he has earmarked seems to impose limitations which won't let him realise his dream.

As Martin has said (indirectly), his parent(s) are the ones who have the final veto on what he does and doesn't do. Without knowing the limitations he is working under it is difficult to know what to suggest.

BCB - what are your parents attitute to all this? What will they let you do and not do? Why can't you come to an organised meet near you? Would one of your parents accompany you? Would they let you go with a responsible ( maybe CRB approved) adult?

Can't we try to make BCB's path easier, help him out and welcome a new generation of Bushcrafters into the fraternity with proper, practical help and advice (and maybe a helping hand)?

ATB

Paul
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 09-11-2011 at 07:00 AM.

I love Canada, so much less rules and restrictions here regarding knife carry................ especially outdoors. I'd post a smiley face, but unfortunately you guys have to suffer due to the strict rules regarding knife carry. I feel for you.