Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: red's first file knife

If I may interject a suggestion here: I've made a few knives from scrap materials, and tried to do the best I could when it comes to handle material. One good source of free hardwood, sometimes even exotic woods, is old shipping pallets. When I was younger, I worked in a plant, packing nails and screws; loading and unloading trucks, and while there, I managed to find one pallet that had a piece of mahogany, and one with zebrawood.

If you know of a grocery store, or even a bulk, club-type store nearby, check out by their shipping dock if you can. You may need to check with someone to make sure it's ok to scavenge there. Bring a hammer and/or a pry-bar, and a pocketknife. Check the hardness of the board by trying to whittle a small piece off the corner. The harder it is to carve, the harder the wood is. You should be able to get some good wood that way.

Looks like you've got your other bases covered well. Nice job so far.

alright hey guys its red, im back. ive been here in texas for the last few days relaxing and catching up with my fiance. ive been gone for five months working in illinois, so this time together has meant a lot to us. we're doing great, i couldnt have hoped for a more warm and welcoming homecoming.

as for my knife i went with a cordwrap in the end, i used a slight variation on the classic diamond pattern and its worked out beautifully so far. my fiance has a really nice camera so ill see if shed be willing to get it out and photograph my knife in action ill see yall real soon!
    The days that make us happy, make us wise

Yay, it's done! Looking forward to the pics and what you sorted out for a handle with the cord wrapping. Bring it on buddy!

Cord wrap, very nice. Usually very cool looking and supremely functional. Heckuvalot easier to replace if it gets dinged up too.

alright guys i know i keep promising and failing to deliver, but i when youve got a girl as beautiful as mine you cant help but cringe at the thought of doing anything but being with her ive been away for five months so this time has been really special, oh well if your viewing this its to see my knife, not read about my love life. so here it is, i dont know if the picture quality is any better than my cellphone as i was unable to preview the pictures, but i will assume that it is since she used her professional camera to take the pictures in a decidedly unprofessional location (the bathroom counter lol) as i was sharpening it on the whetstone you see in the picture. im thinking about messing with the handle a little later on, definitely considering changing the underlayer. either way ill continue to use the pattern, as it works well for me so i consider it a winner. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0293.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0290.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0291.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0292.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0096.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	308
    Last edited by redmegalord; 31-12-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: figured i was saying a little much, digressed from the point :p

believe me folks, its very sharp, it passed every test i put it through (including chopping, batoning, piercing, digging etc etc) oh and i trimmed my beard since that picture of us was taken. perhaps more pictures (of the knife, not us... well maybe a few lol) to come later. maybe some pictures in the wilderness, she and i both love being outdoors, and since she takes a lot of pictures outside it wouldnt be a problem to get some of the knife doing what it does best.

also, please let me know if theres anything specifically youd like to know about the knife (weight, length etc etc)