Thread: Woodland forage

Woodland forage

Well there I was on a great mushroom foraging course, run by the Bushcraft Magazine people. Went to Dering woods, lovely I was thinking. On starting to wander looking for mushrooms (obviously) could not help but notice the amount of rubbish that was strewn about the place. Apparently according to the leader of said forage they have had whole cars driven in and burnt out.
    It just goes to show what a thoughtless society we live in today, or is it just a lack of education?
    Also while foraging, there and quite blatant was a bright blue frame tent, and the usual parifenalia just off one of the main footpaths!!! Just really find it odd.
    Well that's my rant, anyway the guys from the magazine ran a great course, the leader Steve had incredible knowledge, not just mushrooms but plant and animal life, highly recommend for anyone in the SE of the uk, unless you like to travel, as camping is available at their site.

Sounds like a nice trip mate. Shame about the human debris, shocking to think of vehicles being dumped in the woods. I thought cans were bad enough.

Thanks for sharing RL.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tribesman
    Just shows the difference location can make.
    Up here I haven't found any edible mushrooms for a month or so.
    Glad you enjoyed it RL.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Well we only found the hedgehog mushroom that was edible. However we did find 28 different types, but these were down to I think about 7 groups.
    As I am a complete novice in this field it was a great day for information.
    But when we got back to base for a lunch of wonderful home made soup and roll and more identification which was an eye opener, sorry I digress, we walked a sweet corn field next to base and found about five trug fills of field mushrooms, because the farmer used old mushroom compost on his crops, great bonus had them this morning in a great omlete

Tribesman
    The only group of large mushrooms I can still find locally, are Aminita's
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins