Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birch fungus

Birch fungus

Hi. I saw on Youtube a black fungus on birch that could catch a spark and started smoldering without any treatment. I only know of a fungus that is hard that needs treatment with lye or urin.
    I ofcourse had to make a trip to my woods yesterday, but I couldnt find anything. Not even the usual one.
    Could the fungus I saw on the film be a local type that doesnt excist in Norway or my part?

I really would like to find it. :-) The more I find in the woods the less I need to carry. :-)

Sounds like what is known as a cramp ball fungus over here; I've not spotted any yet, probably just haven't noticed it as it's supposed to be quite common in the UK.

Found some last trip out, tried it and yes great.
    Think the name is King Alfred cakes, or cramp balls, of course there is always the Latin name
    They usually are found on dead birch trees.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hi. I saw on Youtube a black fungus on birch that could catch a spark and started smoldering without any treatment. I only know of a fungus that is hard that needs treatment with lye or urin.
    I ofcourse had to make a trip to my woods yesterday, but I couldnt find anything. Not even the usual one.
    Could the fungus I saw on the film be a local type that doesnt excist in Norway or my part?

I really would like to find it. :-) The more I find in the woods the less I need to carry. :-)
    The one you're talking about sounds like inonotus obliquus also called the true tinder fungus, it doesn't need any prep whatsoever apart from drying out, and can be used straight from the tree if it's dry enough, it's usually found on Birch trees
    and your part of the world is perfect for it,it's quite rare in the UK but can be found in Scotland

Cramp balls are usually found on Ash trees
    Last edited by luresalive; 27-10-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Well I live in the south east and found them, and pretty sure it was birch
    However I bow to your obvious wisdom, I am a very novice novice

I looked further and the one who looked most like in the film is what we calls Kreftkjuke(cancer fungus) or in english Chaga.
    The middle part is what is used. Somewhat corky in structure. Only dry it and go. It has many medical functions also. Used as tea. But its hard to find. Another excuse to have a trip to the woods. :-)

Any pictures,? Would like to see this fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I looked further and the one who looked most like in the film is what we calls Kreftkjuke(cancer fungus) or in english Chaga.
    The middle part is what is used. Somewhat corky in structure. Only dry it and go. It has many medical functions also. Used as tea. But its hard to find. Another excuse to have a trip to the woods. :-)
    Yes, as I thought it is Inonotus Obliquus, here's a link to it

http://wildbranchmushrooms.com/chaga

Like i said i am a novice novice, thinking along completely different lines.
    So this one grows on ash? and is the tree living or decaying?
    And is it only the core that is used for tinder / medications?
    And yes i did see the link but to much going on to read at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Realearner View Post
    Like i said i am a novice novice, thinking along completely different lines.
    So this one grows on ash? and is the tree living or decaying?
    And is it only the core that is used for tinder / medications?
    And yes i did see the link but to much going on to read at the moment

Obliquus (Chaga/truetinder fungus) - Birch
    Cramp Balls - Ash (usually, though occasionally beech and even more rarely on Silver birch)