Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First stove?

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    I have one of these. After going down the gear geek route and buying expensive EASILY BROKEN stove that can nuke a litre of water in less that a minute. I decided I wanted something cheap and indestructable, the swiss army mess kit is that. Also I cook my food in the large tin, use it as my plate, boil my water in the small tin and use that as my mug. The mess tin also serves as storage for cutlery and food (I keep the meths and burner separate).
    if you usu the large pan for water and the small upside down as lid with say ur beans in u kill 2 birds one stone!!! lid prob solved with foil!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

the swiss army mess kit is great iv cooked with fuel and on a open fire id get one if i was you

Quote Originally Posted by markal17 View Post
    the swiss army mess kit is great iv cooked with fuel and on a open fire id get one if i was you
    Where'd you get yours?
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Tribal Elder
    i got mine here!!!
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//index...&Submit=%C2%A0
    good for all surplus and service good, best to buy loads postage still 7.50 i think!!!
    hope this helps Al

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    trangia swiss set!!!

bushcraftboy
    I'm going to get one, it says might have been stored up to 50 years ahah.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    I'm going to get one, it says might have been stored up to 50 years ahah.
    Sounds like the rat packs we used to get issued .....ahh babys heads, oatmeal blocks and proper biscuits fruit.

Anyway I digress. I made my own hobo works on meths, hexamine or wood. Best thing about cooking on an open fire is it keeps you warm too. Never a shortage of fuel. Mazzmans right, hexi stinks is difficult to light but as a standby option its great.

Not a big fan of gas as once its empty..then its empty but once again in the field its a godsend. Agree with GC the expensive all singing and all dancing stoves can go wrong and alot of the time arent fixable in the field.

I use a home made billy can and metal mug on my hobo/open fires and i have an optional set of Army issue mess tins if i
    want.

Lastly you could do much worsee than the Army Trangia, but if you can pay a bit more and get stainless rather than alum - i think theres a review on the site somewhere
    [

As promised a picture of my stoves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	2752

And the new hobo stove that I have just made, its clean in the pic.....not any more.

Mike
    Bushcraft: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beer, hot shower and flush toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Sounds like the rat packs we used to get issued .....ahh babys heads, oatmeal blocks and proper biscuits fruit.

Anyway I digress. I made my own hobo works on meths, hexamine or wood. Best thing about cooking on an open fire is it keeps you warm too. Never a shortage of fuel. Mazzmans right, hexi stinks is difficult to light but as a standby option its great.

Not a big fan of gas as once its empty..then its empty but once again in the field its a godsend. Agree with GC the expensive all singing and all dancing stoves can go wrong and alot of the time arent fixable in the field.

I use a home made billy can and metal mug on my hobo/open fires and i have an optional set of Army issue mess tins if i
    want.

Lastly you could do much worsee than the Army Trangia, but if you can pay a bit more and get stainless rather than alum - i think theres a review on the site somewhere
    And don't forget the cheese possessed !
    Bushcraft: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beer, hot shower and flush toilet.