Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars and Monoculars

Tribal Elder

Binoculars and Monoculars

Can anyone give me some recommendations on these? like where's best to buy from?

Currently looking for a monocular that would be good for spotting wildlife and looking for interesting terrain features when out and about?

I am personally quite fond of Vortex Optics

I have a Solo 8x36; http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...8x36-monocular

And a Diamondback 8x42; http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...8x42-binocular

Both are very good at their respective price point.

Tribal Elder
    Thanks Jeep - I'll need to do some reading i think so I can understand the numbers

The basics are:

The first number is the magnification, the most common being 8x and 10x. The larger the number the higher the magnification - but, also smaller field of view and lesser light transmission.

The latter number is the front oculars, which determines light transmission and, to some extent, field of view. A larger number means a better light transmission and a slightly bigger field of view (field of view varies greatly from brand/model to brand/model though). But, a larger number also means a bigger and heavier set of binoculars to haul around.

A 8x42 is a good overall standard, it is fairly small in size and not too heavy. A lot of hunters use 8x42
    10x42 brings you closer to the target, but due to the smaller field of view, it is less comfortable to look through (feels more "shaky") - and is is not as suitable for low light conditions as the 8x42. A lot of birdwatchers prefer 10x42.
    If you want more light you can "upgrade" to 8x50 or 10x50 - but at a price of higher weight and larger size.
    If size and weight is a major issue, you can go for a 8x36 or 10x36 - but the light transmission in either is not very good, making them less versatile than the slightly larger/heavier x42
    If you are going to use your binoculars on the water you need one with a large field of view, due to the movements caused by the water. Not bigger than 8x, ideally 7x or 7.5x

Hi, I bought an Opticron 8x32 LE about 12 months ago - am really pleased with it for size, weight and image quality. Waterproof + good warranty.

Its about halfway down the page on the link
    http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/optic...n_monoc_fs.htm

More info here
    http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info-30348.html

Binoculars
    I've found the these to be very good for the price - check the reviews via google
    http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-10x...noculars&sl=sl

And these : http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acata...nd_Series.html

If you are just getting into binocs, the 7day shop ones are excellent for the price and really do out perform a lot of others - but they are not compact.

HTH
    Last edited by Peaks; 02-09-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: additional info

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Some good info there..
    It all comes down to what you want the bins for though (there is wildlife watching and there is wildlife watching). If you want to watch birds flying, for example, you will need a larger front lense so you will see more of an area around the bird, so you won't lose it when it changes direction. That make sense..?
    The down side of having a larger front lense, means larger and weighty bins..
    Compromise is often called for and as Jeep says 8 to 10 x 42 is a popular size for many.
    I just make do with an old pair of Tasco 10x25's which are very shaky, so I often need a rest or support, but they fit in my pocket or pack well.
    I also keep a momocular in the landy, but thats even worse and only good for a quick look at something.

If you want to spend a lot of time looking through lenses, get good quality gear, to ease eye strain. If you are just going to be using them occasionally, then there are many decent cheap ones, and I agree that the 7 days shop ones are OK. My boy has some..

I use a pair of tasco@s as well,think mine are 8x40,had them years,tough as old boots. I also have a spotting scope(bit of a twicher... sorry)there 15-45x65 so quite powerfull,used with a tripod.

Tribal Elder
    Thanks guys! Hmm.. I'll need to think on this... I might try a cheaper or second hand model first and if it seems right upgrade later

Might try evilbay

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Thanks guys! Hmm.. I'll need to think on this... I might try a cheaper or second hand model first and if it seems right upgrade later

Might try evilbay
    Mrs got me a pair of wartime german bins from the charity shop for £3 bit of a tidy up and service and good as new ! Use them for spotting dog handlers on training and assessment as well as on the rescue stuff. have a punt you never know your luck
    [

I use an old pair of Komz 8x30, fantastic lenses and can be picked up on the evilbay for around £25-£30 squid.
    LINK
    In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.