Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife Sheath - Made from PVC Pipe

Alone in the Wilderness
    yep i tried it and its a good idea i juist need a bit more practice to get a good finish

Welcome to the forum rabbithound - ponte lad eh ? Why not pop over to the new members section and introduce yourself to the members - whilst there if you could have a look at the forum ettiquette posts too - once again welcome.....
    [

the main problem is that they're using schedule 40 pipe which is cheap as chips in the US as its used for domestic water pipes (like our 22 and 15mm Cu) but its mega expensive over here (if you can find it). I was looking into making a bow like the ones by "backyard bowyer" on youtube but can't for lack of materials.

I can see hairdriers disapearing from bedrooms all over the country
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    USofA Prepper M4TE sent me details of this & noted your @Twitter link great share Ashley.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Never seen anything like this - Seems like a great DIY/Cheap project! Anyone had any experience with this technique?

Yeh Ash Ive seen it used for all sorts. There is a guy on youtube ive been subbed to for ages called backyardbowyer (bet you cant guess what he makes ) yup bows, and the guy is a freekin genius at it, he has also made atlatl and cross bows out of schedule 40 /80 pvc. Take a look at his work its well worth a butchers, LNT, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

thanks for sharing big man

I think they must have weaker pipe over in the US. I've tried this a couple times, using the exact methods this guy uses, and the surface of the pipe ruins long before the whole pipe is soft enough to form. For the price of black Kydex over here, it's cheap enough to use that instead
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

try lowering the heat and leaving it for longer Adam, another way we used to uncoil pipes from the reel was to use exhaust fumes from the machines, in other words go start your car up with the pipe on the exhaust, it works for gas pipe, water pipe, and electrical conduit, the water and gas board didnt like it to much as they would have more work chlorinating the pipes

also you can shrink some leather over the pipe to make a nice hard insert for a rugged sheath design

cheers

Madz

I'll give the lower temp, longer time method a go. I just assumed it would be the same sort of process as Kydex, as far as the heating side of things.
    Thanks for the suggestion Madz
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel