Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to positively ID Yew?

Well you are well ahead of me with idents, and I have a couple of little gem books on trees mushrooms insects, and wild food. Plus I always look out in charity shops.
    I now take at least two out with me every time and try and find and ident stuff.
    Check one of the other threads on here.

bushcraftboy
    I don't have any books at all, but soon I'm buying Ray Mears Survival season 1 & 2, and alot of collins books and also Ray Mears' books.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    "It looks like yew"......It was a few seconds after seeing the look on her face before I realized what she thought I was suggesting. Dohh!
    LMAO...Yew just made my Friday night so much brighter!!!!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwose View Post
    Yew will be covered in red berries (Arils) at this time of year ,,,, MMhh this has got me thinking. The yew being a conifer are the berries still classed as cones .
    Spruce will have cones.
    A lot of trees ave red berries though, so maybe not the best way to identify it, for a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBeaner View Post
    LMAO...Yew just made my Friday night so much brighter!!!!
    Likewise, absolutely classic

Yew berries...

Yew needles...

Old Yew trees, often have a trunk made of several smaller trunks (or fat stems ). This is an exaggerated example...

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

bushcraftboy
    Thanks for the help, I want out with my friend today and I saw a Yew in a church yard (little did I know there was a wedding) , I walked up to see it, I can easily pick it out now. To me, it sorta looks like gorse, there were many red berries, they are also edible, but becaus ethe tree itself it deadly, I'd stay away.

I can ID spruce, pine, fir, and many confiers now.

There is one tree I can never ID, it is always used in gardens, my fathers friend said to me it's fir, but it's got flatter needles. I think it's leylandii fir?
    Last edited by bushcraftboy; 22-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

[QUOTE=crazysaint222;26375]A lot of trees ave red berries though, so maybe not the best way to identify it, for a novice. ]

Errrmmm, it's the only UK conifer that I know of that has red berries. If you're getting a conifer mixed up with a broadleaf or evergreen with red berries such as holly for instance then well,,, I can't help you much.
    Last edited by Woodwose; 22-10-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Errrmmm, it's the only UK conifer that I know of that has red berries. If you're getting a conifer mixed up with a broadleaf or evergreen with red berries such as holly for instance then well,,, I can't help you much.
    Ah yes. It is the only conifer with red berries, you're quite right. but holly often grows in amongst conifers and other trees, giving the illusion of red berries on the wrong tree....(did i manage to save myself there? )

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Ah yes. It is the only conifer with red berries, you're quite right. but holly often grows in amongst conifers and other trees, giving the illusion of red berries on the wrong tree....(did i manage to save myself there? )
    Hmm, but holly is a berry, not an aril, the Yew's aril is wrapped around a poisonous nut. And holly is very pricky, you can't really mistake it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    Hmm, but holly is a berry, not an aril, the Yew's aril is wrapped around a poisonous nut. And holly is very pricky, you can't really mistake it.
    This is also very true my friend, but the aril looks like a berry from a distance, even from ground level to mid branches. Holly can grow so intertwined with some trees, that it is very difficult to distinguish the leaves, again for higher branches. If that makes sense. It's not common, but it does happen, especially in ancient, mossy woodland. I'll try and find an example when I'm down Devon tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    This is also very true my friend, but the aril looks like a berry from a distance, even from ground level to mid branches. Holly can grow so intertwined with some trees, that it is very difficult to distinguish the leaves, again for higher branches. If that makes sense. It's not common, but it does happen, especially in ancient, mossy woodland. I'll try and find an example when I'm down Devon tomorrow.
    Yew paying a visit to our neck of the woods again? Yew wood be better off moving here at this rate