Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own Micarta® style material (pic heavy)

Make your own Micarta® style material (pic heavy)

Here is a brief description, of how to make your own Micarta® style material, for knife scales and liners.

First off the list of things you need...

Cotton, Canvas, Hessian, Denim, or similar...this is the main ingredient. What you choose here, will determine the colour and texture of the finished product.
    Epoxy resin (and a fair bit of it). I use fibreglass resin, as it is easy to get hold of, although it does have a slightly orange tint to it.
    Greaseproof paper.

Tools and equipment...

Scissors (or a sharp knife and steel rule) to cut the fabric into strips or squares.
    Two pieces of hard flat material, to press the fabric/epoxy mix between.
    Several clamps, or clamping devices.
    Something to mix the epoxy in (old takeaway boxes or butter containers work well)
    Something to spread the epoxy (piece of stiff plastic or old credit card) DO NOT USE CARD or WOOD.

First step, cut the pieces of fabric to desired size, and enough to make the thickness you require...

Then prepare the lower clamping surface, by covering it with the greaseproof paper...

Mix your epoxy...

Then apply a good coating of epoxy to the greaseproof paper, lay the first layer of fabric onto it, smooth out the fabric (removing any creases or air bubbles), then coat the layer in more epoxy. Do this with every layer after, ensuring that everything stays nice and smooth.
    Sorry I don't have pictures of this stage, as epoxy sets quite fast, and time is of the essence with this stuff.

Once all the layers are covered in epoxy, place another sheet of greaseproof paper to the top, before placing the upper clamping surface on the lot. Clamp the two boards (or whatever you used) starting at the middle, working your way to each end (this reduces chances of ripples, etc)....

Leave for a couple days (the epoxy will take a while to cure right in the middle of the fabric) and you should have something that looks like this...

Trim off the excess if you want, or you can just cut the shapes/scales/chunks off as you need them.

This method also works with Micarta® paper, but instead of using fabric, use coloured card. Ideal for making liners/spacers.

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Very interesting

I ran out of epoxy for the final layer on this last one , that's why it doesn't go right to the edges. lol

Adam, I've wondered about making my own micarta-like material. Seeing it broken down into easy steps like this has just put another project on my large back-burner.

You should put the step-by-step together and post it on www.instructables.com.

Thanks!

Josh

Nice work, looks easy enough!

Thanks guys. I think there are a couple methods floating about on the net. Haven't checked instructables yet, but I would imagine someone has put it on there. I shall investigate

Peasant
    This will sound incredibly stupid. What's micarta?

Not stupid at all buddy. it's a vulcanised fibre material, used by knife makers and manufacturers, for handles. Although originally it was used as an insulator in electrical units.

Tribesman
    Adam, your a mine of information.
    Thanks

lol, a land mine of useless **** more like haha.
    Thanks RB.