Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD tarp coverage?

Tramp
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.....much appreciated.

My reason for asking is: a few nights ago the rain was coming down at such an angle that it was hitting the window in our hallway some 12 inches (300mm) from the top. The window in question is situated beneath a canopy which extends 30inches (760mm) from the house. This got me thinking about the overhang required for a tarp/hammock combo. In weather like that, a 150mm overhang wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

Also, I understand the idea behind the karabiner mod, but this will obviously reduce the 150mm overhang to more like 50mm, or maybe less?
    Last edited by Alamo; 12-10-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo when converting inches to metric.....I'm an old school (inches) man.

The most important part of using a 3x3 with a 2.7 hammock, is the distance between the ridge line and the hammock ends. If you have a whopping 3 foot, then the rain IS going to come in, but if you stay to under a foot, you should be fine. It sounds a tiny amount, but by the time you are in the hammock, it will sag down and give you plenty of head/face room. Also be sure to set the side of the tarp toward the wind/rain, otherwise the rain will drive down the end, soaking either the bottom of your sleeping bag, or the head end. The carabiners won't soak up any water, so it doesn't really matter about them being in the rain. Just make sure to attach them as close to the hammock as possible (making sure you are comfortable in your hammock). These rules apply for the diagonal setup too. If you can afford it, and have enough room to pack it, I'd plump for the 4.5. It'll give you more set up options, plus give you extra room to store your kit.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tramp
    Thanks again everyone,

Having never owned, slept in or even pitched a hammock before, with your help it looks like I'll be ordering hammock and 3x3 tarp next pay day. As suggested by andy t and crazysaint222, I had considered the 3m x 4.5m tarp, but think that could be a little large for my needs. A pity that DD don't do a 3.5m x 3.5m ........

Alan

I second that thought. They need a 3.5x3.5 (or somewhere near) to make all of us happy
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel