View Poll Results: How do you camp most of the time?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammock

30 42.86%
  • Ground

40 57.14%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hammock or Ground?

not sure if anyone else suffers or if its just me but the last couple of times i have used a hammock i get bad leg aches and pins n needles. could i be hanging it too tight or not tight enough ?? any help would be great thanks mike

What make of hammock are you using?

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Hammock is the best nights sleep I ever get it is even better than my bed
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by mike 01302 View Post
    not sure if anyone else suffers or if its just me but the last couple of times i have used a hammock i get bad leg aches and pins n needles. could i be hanging it too tight or not tight enough ?? any help would be great thanks mike
    Sounds like your legs are to high up I get it sometimes then in the day I do a couple of adjustments and it is great
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Likewise. Sounds like the hammock is too slack to be honest, causing your legs to be too high, reducing blood flow to them. I would suggest slightly more tension and set the foot end of the hammock a few inches higher than the head end, but just enough to keep your body weight in the same place while you sleep. If you have the foot end level with the head, the body mass (which is around your torso) will "drag" your body down and slide your legs up the hammock. It's a fine line between high enough to stop this, and too high.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by mike 01302 View Post
    What do you wear when you sleep in a hammock? Could be that your trousers are twisting around your upper thigh and cutting off the blood stream.

Used to be a ground dweller but recently bought a tenth wonder hammock. I tried it in the house and it stopped my back aching on the first night. Been sleeping in it nearly every night( we've got scaffolding in the house at the moment) since then. Thinking about getting rid of the bed in the house altogether.

I don't mind kickin back for half an hour in a hammock, but I like my North Face with a nice big vestibule to stash my stuff under, and with a mesh attic and pockets, etc.
    I especially like a tent in a raging thunderstorm.

Hammock, bivy bag or tent as appropriate for me. Comfort wise, a hammock can't be beat generally. Sometimes though it just easier to use a bivy bag under a tarp with the canoe. For gnarly weather and areas troubled within tiny biters, it's out with the geodesic dome with noseeum netting.

So, I'd vote, but I need an all of the above to choose.

Al

I don't tend to do overnight sleeps so I haven't looked into using hammocks much. I do enjoy catching a few minutes snooze curled up against the trunk and roots of a tree though.