Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused info on carbon vs stainless

Confused info on carbon vs stainless

Hey I know this topic must come up a lot but I'm personally getting very frustrated with all the info out on the net about which type of steel is better for holding its edge and sharpening.
    The majority of info I've read on the net or hear on youtube states that carbon steel is easier to sharpen because stainless has all that stuff in the metal that protects it... but the downfall is that carbon can rust and corrode easier than stainless. (which makes sense)
    BUT... there's other info that says the complete opposite. To help me verify this info once and for all, I called two "House of Knives" stores in my city.... and one guy said he was a blacksmith and that high carbon metals are much more stronger than stainless steel... therefore carbon blades will hold their edge longer.. but are harder to sharpen because of how strong the steel is. (Which also makes sense) But stainless steel is easier to sharpen... however loses its edge much quicker therefore resulting in having to sharpen more often.

I don't know if it makes a difference whether the forums I've read has anything to do with kitchen knives apposed to survival/hunting knives or not.. or if there's a big difference in "carbon" or "high carbon" making one of them harder to sharpen than stainless..

I'm very sorry for this long post... but you gotta understand my frustration considering I've been getting a lot of false info from "professionals"

Not sure if there's a loophole that I might not have understood

Nobody can help me here? Seriously?
    ... I simply am not there

I think this thread helps, maybe check it out, particularly this post http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ull=1#post1342 ...
    Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!

Yeah I did read all those posts earlier. I'm just frustrated that I getting so much mixed info out there that it's really making it difficult for me in terms of which type of blade I want to purchase. I'm definitely not as outgoing as you guys in bush crafts.. but I would like to eventually when I know what I'm doing.
    To tell you the truth.. I think I'm more concerned that I won't be able to sharpen my knife properly. I watched videos on how to do it... but how much more difficult is it going to be if I choose a blade that's "harder to sharpen" .... I really don't know what that means in terms of time

Yeah, i never understood that. If stainless steel is softer how is it harder to sharpen.

The best way is to try things, to explore.
    Others advice and experience 'will' differ.
    Dip your toe in the water and just try a few knives, maybe friends, maybe cheaper knives like the moras.
    Just because I knife may be considered hard to sharpen really doesn't mean it is hard to sharpen, it's just a knife!

Of course experimentation is great but you have to understand what are the components that can influence a steel and with some knowledge you start to experiment the steels that you think that will be good for your tasks. It really doesn't matter if it is carbon or stainless, what it matters is your hapiness and capability of steel and the knife for the tasks that you do...

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_Men View Post
    Of course experimentation is great but you have to understand what are the components that can influence a steel and with some knowledge you start to experiment the steels that you think that will be good for your tasks. It really doesn't matter if it is carbon or stainless, what it matters is your hapiness and capability of steel and the knife for the tasks that you do...

I suppose that's the only problem I really have. I don't know my steels at all. I've been doing a lot of reading on reviews... but personally... some of the blades that have great reviews just aren't my style. I don't know if that sounds stupid or not.. but I do want a knife that I think is really attractive if that makes sense to you. Basically I'll mainly use my knife for light carving.. ie, making traps.. pegs.. feather sticks. But at the same time .. want to know that "IF" it came down to a survival situation... that it would be sufficient enough to perhaps take a fair bit of abuse... but only in a survival situation. With that being said.. if I'm doing light carving here and there.. I'd hope it would maintain its edge fairly well and not be TOO difficult for me to sharpen.. I don't mind spending a few minutes sharpening.. but I don't want to sit there for an hour on a stone with minimal results. You know what I mean?

This is a knife I'm really attracted to at the moment and I can get it brand new right now for under a $100 which seems like a good deal considering the retailed price.. but I don't understand the specs too clearly in terms of what the grade of steel. Think you can help me on this one?

http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-k...fe/120620.html

I was also thinking about the SEAL Pup Elite - Straight Edge Black .. AUS 8 steel ..... but I've been hearing people talking down on it now that it's made in Taiwan.. so I don't know if the knife isn't up to its standards anymore.. or maybe people are just hating. I don't know.
    Last edited by V13TC0NG; 27-11-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Beautiful looking knife and as it says Solingen on it, I would imagine it would be excellent.
    I personally wouldn't use such a knife for carving as the single bevel is (in my opinion) the best tool for the job, hence making them and teaching how to make them.
    I also prefer carbon tool steel for the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    Beautiful looking knife and as it says Solingen on it, I would imagine it would be excellent.
    I personally wouldn't use such a knife for carving as the single bevel is (in my opinion) the best tool for the job, hence making them and teaching how to make them.
    I also prefer carbon tool steel for the blade.

Hmm okay I'm starting to see a pattern in my searches and I think I'm pretty convinced now that carbon steel is the route that's probably best for me.. I'll eventually try them all.. but seems carbon has a more positive feedback in terms of what I want so long as I maintain it from rusting and what not.
    With that said... what do you suggest the type of steel I should stick with? I ask that because I keep hearing that Mora knives are great but I see that a lot are made with stainless steel and I really don't understand the steel terms all that well (ie HRC 57).... I still don't even know what a bevel is lol. Also is there a big difference in carbon and high carbon? Is there one I should lead towards more?

I'm very sorry for asking too many questions.. but since I'm getting feedback I figured I'd get it all off my chest while I'm talking to an expert.

On a different note.. I really hate the look of the mora handles. The knives I posted up is more my style... so if you have any suggestions in what might be good for me... I'm always up for suggestions =)
    Last edited by V13TC0NG; 27-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.