Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dartmoor Trip - Gone Wrong!

Interesting mix of responses. I would sit tight, use Ibuprofen, strap the ankle, drink plenty including some warm drinks, check my phone signal frequently (it can swing in and out randomly) and rely on the fact that I had good kit, fuel, adequate water supply (the snow) and a supply of food/snacks.

Worst case scenario - It might be a 2 day wait until I didn't arrive back home and it triggered the alarm so it begs the question, what else could I have done as preparation for such an event ?... Maybe took a flare ? or maybe had a buddy GPS system (can be incorporated into mobile phone GPS map programs) where a buddy can track my exact movements (or lack of them) on a map on a computer via the internet. No distance covered in daylight hours in 3 or 4 hours = potential issue.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Also, try texting. A text message does not need as much of a signal as a phone call..

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Lightbulb My Thoughts

Some good stuff.

One thing no one's mentioned yet; with your mobile phone, don't just glance at your mobile and get disheartened thinking; doh! no bars! If you need it try 999 regardless - Remember an emergency call will automatically be re-routed through any available mobile network irrespective of whether you've got signal for your network or not So chances are wherever you are in the UK you'd probably get able to get a call out.

That aside, lets say your mobile really isn't working, could be flat or damaged.

Try not to panic!
    (I bet that's easier said than done when realization sets in that your injured, immobile, alone & unable to contact anyone).

Slow down for your own good, pre-occupy yourself with getting fluids like people have recommended, that in turn is good for your thinking.

If I couldn't hobble & thought it might put me in further danger trying to navigate across a snowy landscape I would sit-tight and wait for rescue, bearing in mind you don't want to deviate from your recorded path and get lost because you want people to be able to find you on your pre-defined route and believe me if your injured on Dartmoor, landscape covered in snow, that's the time your gona mess up a bearing and go wandering in te wrong direction!

- Make yourself as comfortable as possible in the spot your in, see to your injury, meds, support etc.
    - Water/Fluids
    - Shelter
    - Food.
    - Keep trying the phone (TXT was a good idea, low-bandwidth more likely to get out)
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    OK, a few other bits and pieces that you could/should do. As you are now in a survival situation, you should be looking to be rescued as soon as possible, so you need to attract attention. The normal way to do this is to blow your whistle six times followed by a pause of one minute followed by six blows and so on and so on. The response to this is three blows. During day light, you could try using a signal mirror, or heliograph, to signal for help. What about building a signal fire? Plenty of wet material about on Dartmoor to generate smoke, that's if you can start a fire in the first place although you will probably have plenty of dry tinder in your kit in an emergency situation.

One of the basic rules of survival is the 'rule of threes' which states that you can survive for three minutes without air, three hours without shelter/heat, three days without water and three weeks without food. This gives you a clue as to what order you should prioritise your needs and shows that foraging for food is probably the least of your worries.

This is a really good thread, keep the ideas coming. Let's hope we never find ourselves in the sort of scenario described but it doesn't hurt to do some thinking about 'what if' just in case.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

to start with i make sure people know where im going and when i should be back stay put stay warm stay fed but rasion it and hope if that fails try to make your way back down the most visable path you can leaving signs of where you have been as much as pos and the direction you are heading in light a visable fire when you rest or stop for the night

dont know if this is right but its what i would do

thanks

Banned
    Why only 3 hours without shelter/heat? Scores of records of people without either surviving for long periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Why only 3 hours without shelter/heat? Scores of records of people without either surviving for long periods.
    its taking into account the harshest possible weather/temperature,..

ie,..a blizzard in minus temps would finish a person off without a snow hole or quince etc,....

or even the opposite, without shade, sun exposure can do the same.

Banned
    Shackleton, Bligh and Apsley George Benet Cherry-Garrard, are just a few who survived for very very much longer.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Shackleton, Bligh and Apsley George Benet Cherry-Garrard, are just a few who survived for very very much longer.
    Yep, and some folk can survive longer without 3 mins of air too, but the majority of us cannot. What Martin says is pretty much true for most people, and a good rule to stick too and remember..

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    True Edwin but hypothermia is a killer and, in a survival situation, shelter is one of the first things you should consider given the rule of threes.

Of course there are numerous notable exceptions to the rule but they are notable because they defied the odds. The countless others who have died over the years aren't remembered.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.