Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dartmoor Trip - Gone Wrong!

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Question Dartmoor Trip - Gone Wrong!

Recently a friend of mine set off to do a 3 day, solo trip on Dartmoor in November.

After he set off, snow unexpectedly covered parts of the country, the temperature of his first night on Dartmoor dropped to -4.

Considering he was on his own, the next day he decided wisely to call a early end to the trip as the news on his radio said about heavy snowfall around the UK, the cold-spell was staying & to potentially expect more.

My friend had planned to do a lot of walking which got me thinking, here's a scenario for you...

Your up on the moors with a good bag of camping-gear to keep you fed, watered & warm. Snow has unexpectedly comes in, covering the terrain making it hard to see your footing. You slip & fall, you've injured your ankle and can't stand up! You look at your mobile and typical there's no reception!

- How do you think you would react?... (isolated & injured)

- What would you do?... what actions would you take?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Wow, interesting! I think I'd try to whack some sturdy branches off and perhaps rig up some decent "crutches" or even a walking stick to lean on. Definitely keep the pressure off my injured foot. After that I'd have to keep my wits and my bearing.
    "We learned to be patient observers like the owl. We learned cleverness from the crow, and courage from the jay, who will attack an owl ten times its size to drive it off its territory. But above all of them ranked the chickadee because of its indomitable spirit."- Tom Brown Jr

stay put,..

you got shelter, food and water,..

and if you are sensible, a rough route plan will have been left with at least two seperate people

one of which would be a ranger or someone in a similar position.

the dramatic change in weather would prompt a search situation within 24 hours of your planned return day.

then lay back, and enjoy the howl of the wind on your tent,..whilst waiting for the rescue, breakfast tv interview and book deal....

now theres a thought!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raikey View Post
    stay put,..

and if you are sensible, a rough route plan will have been left with at least two seperate people

one of which would be a ranger or someone in a similar position.

the dramatic change in weather would prompt a search situation within 24 hours of your planned return day.

then lay back, and enjoy the howl of the wind on your tent,..whilst waiting for the rescue, breakfast tv interview and book deal....

now theres a thought!!!
    YEP - that's what I'd do!!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Not too many trees on the moor, so chances are you would of injured your ankle a long way from somewhere to make a crutch..

I would sit down and maybe make a cuppa and consider all the possibilities.. I would look at the map and consider hobbling to the nearest house, or wood, or even high spot (to try for the phone signal). I would take ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling.
    Wether I stayed put or tried to make it out, would depend on how bad the ankle was, and how bad the weather was, and where I was, and how far into my trip I was, so its hard to call that question from my armchair, but I would certainly sit and consider my options very carefully before doing anything..

Thumbs up Dartmoor - Winter - Injury Survival

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMartlet View Post
    Wow, interesting! I think I'd try to whack some sturdy branches off and perhaps rig up some decent "crutches" or even a walking stick to lean on. Definitely keep the pressure off my injured foot. After that I'd have to keep my wits and my bearing.
    Easier said then done; it'd probably take a while with good physical mobility & strength to make a crutch from wood so I'm not sure if you could do it with a broken-ankle (don't know I've not had one!). I suppose if there was a fence-post or something obvious nearby you might look at it as an option.

stay put,..

and if you are sensible, a rough route plan will have been left with at least two seperate people one of which would be a ranger or someone in a similar position.

the dramatic change in weather would prompt a search situation within 24 hours of your planned return day. then lay back, and enjoy the howl of the wind on your tent,..whilst waiting for the rescue, ...
    I like your style! Martin did have a route-plan organized & left it with people.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    ... I would sit down and maybe make a cuppa and consider all the possibilities.. I would look at the map and consider hobbling to the nearest house, or wood, or even high spot (to try for the phone signal). I would take ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling..
    Some great ideas, especially the brew part

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    I like your style! Martin did have a route-plan organized & left it with people.
    my input may sound a bit text book i realise that , and they say in the UK your never more than 8 miles from a road,..(cant remember who has the credit on that stat!)

but thats ok if there are people using the road ,..

and if its covered in snow then it may as well be the moor in every direction,....

snow is sooo disorienting !...it completley changes the landscape, even if you trod the area for years ,...

so i dint want to sound too H&S,...like a hi vis wearing jobsworth, lol,.....

cos i,m not, i like to enjoy the craft and i even get criticised for being a bit reckless,....in a fun way,.....

but when it comes to exposure in the moorland enviroment even i shape up !! hahaha,..

we have a very similar landscape in South and North Yorkshire,,,,,been in it when the snow hits,....

its pretty, ...for photos,....but not pretty to be in,.....

ok,...not ranting,...just felt i needed to validate Martins choice from my point of view.

nature can be a beautiful goddess,...but she can turn into a right b**ch in the blink of an eye,...lol

Stu

As GreenPete's signature says...

Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow

and if its covered in snow then it may as well be the moor in every direction,....

snow is sooo disorienting !...it completley changes the landscape, even if you trod the area for years ,...

Stu
    Your right, and Dartmoor is also one of the toughest places in this Country to learn navigation.