Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Layer/Waterproof Layer

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    The cascada is available for not much more than the munro....

How waterproof is it? hold up to a storm?
    How well the Cascada jacket would cope on a windswept torrential rain lashed Rannoch moor (or a nice summer day in Scotland ) I can’t say.
    But I wore that jacket through some pretty grim days and it’s performance was excellent.
    I have looked on the Paramo site and they recommend washing the jacket with Techwash every 4-8 weeks of regular wear. That seems very excessive and expensive to me. I never washed it once and it still worked OK for me.

The cascada is available for not much more than the munro....

How waterproof is it? hold up to a storm?
    Dave you know what I get up to in my spare time, my Paramo has seen most weathers and very, very varied terrain. Its no accident that its the chosen garment for many a SAR team -
    [

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Dave you know what I get up to in my spare time, my Paramo has seen most weathers and very, very varied terrain. Its no accident that its the chosen garment for many a SAR team -
    of course... alright i think i will go for this one

cheers guys!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Oops!! I have a proper love/hate relationship going with this forum. I had absolutely no plans to buy a new Paramo Velez Adventure Smock in Fire/Chilli Pepper until Dave asked this question!! Grrrrr!!!

Just like this:

Name:  $(KGrHqIOKjIE5Vby!99dBOefg(bU2g~~_12.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  26.9 KB

Hope it arrives before we set off for Dartmoor.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    damn I was looking at that too....

Trapper
    both nice jackets tbh. for me i tend to stick to ex/ current military spec for windproof waterproof items. my reason for this is you get a best of both worlds. primarily, reason number one, there fit for purpose. lots of pockets, tough, light, rugged, (depending on how you load yourself out, DPM/ MTP), and 9 times out of 10 reletivly cheap as there generally surplus and in ready supply. also designed to keep you cool when hot and hot when cold!

- just adding, not all gear you can buy ex - military has to be camo! I've got a white smock (saving for winter) and black smock alongside some DPM and MTP.
    Last edited by Wrighty28; 02-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    damn I was looking at that too....
    I thought you were bidding on the blue one.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    ahh nah i hate blue... green, khaki or black has to be...

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty28 View Post
    both nice jackets tbh. for me i tend to stick to ex/ current military spec for windproof waterproof items. my reason for this is you get a best of both worlds. primarily, reason number one, there fit for purpose. lots of pockets, tough, light, rugged, (depending on how you load yourself out, DPM/ MTP), and 9 times out of 10 reletivly cheap as there generally surplus and in ready supply. also designed to keep you cool when hot and hot when cold!

- just adding, not all gear you can buy ex - military has to be camo! I've got a white smock (saving for winter) and black smock alongside some DPM and MTP.
    I have always found army gear to be heavier than the civvy equiv...what is the army waterproof jacket?

I have always found army gear to be heavier than the civvy equiv...what is the army waterproof jacket?
    Back in my day it was a horrible rubberised nylon type thingy, but it was good at keeping you dry if you were standing still. The current jacket is made of a laminate fabric and seems to be ok to be honest. If you want to go cheaper than pramo you could do alot worse than a Karrimor enforcer or Keela Munro as I said before. Both fit for purpose both Enforcer and Munro used by Police DPG,OSU,Dogs and Firearms.

Met Police K9 handlers have Paramo too. Not sure if its issued. Last comment on Paramo. I got an Aspira smock in 2003 (in red, for obvious reasons) here we are in 2011 and its still going strong, despite wearing it when training, and on ops with the exception only of the summer months. My Gore - Tex jacket on the other hand is delaminating and leaks like a seive
    [