Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: waterproofing back pack

waterproofing back pack

Hi all, just brought a mini alice pack from evilbay, cant complain only £20.00 delivered and 25 to 30ltr.
    Anyway stop rambling, the pack is canvas which I wanted, however what are opinions regarding waterproofing as the Duluth packs are similar and I don't think they are proofed. The thoughts behind this is that any wet or damp items get chance to dry out in the pack as it can breath?
    Or just use water tight bags inside?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'd go for dry bags inside. You'll never fully 'waterproof' a rucksack so you'll have to put the stuff in dry bags anyway.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Alone in the Wilderness
    You could always wax it. I know a few companies sell it and some jackets come that way from the factory.

http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cf...7&productid=41

I have used this with succes before.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Waxing a bag will certainly make it shower proof but you'll never fully waterproof it,I own a few Barbour coats and they stand up well in the rain but if its heavy they will eventually get wet inside..dry bags inside are probably the best bet

I doubt there are any truly waterproof packs out there...

As suggested the dry sack route is the way to go, with a small nylon pack cover.

I organise all my clothes, hammock, food etc in separate dry bags. If it is really looking bad I have a large pack liner too.
    Finally, as the outer pockets aren't protected and I don't really want an already heavy pack getting soaked in water, I add a waterproof nylon pack cover.

With the issue Alice packs they used to get a couple of waterproof sacks for gear.

Spraying with a waterproofer may stave off a light shower though.

cheers
    Gareth

Dry bags ...get some British army bergen liners off flea bay....if you get a large bag for the main compartment on the Alice you will be able to take the bag out and put the rucksack and anything else needed inside it to keep water, bugs n such out.
    oh well try again

Thanks guys, looks like it will be dry bags inside and a cover outside. That should cover most cases

Hobo
    3 mil Contractor garbage bags work well inside a pack. Just roll down the top of the bag and everything inside stays dry. Much less expensive than dry bags unless our common language is getting in the way again.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nako View Post
    3 mil Contractor garbage bags work well inside a pack. Just roll down the top of the bag and everything inside stays dry. Much less expensive than dry bags unless our common language is getting in the way again.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.