Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boiling water

boiling water

Boiling water with a zippo lighter...
    Just did it!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Bored??

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Wow, that's an expensive way to boil water isn't it? Interesting to know it's possible though, and I guess that's why you did it. Didn't the lighter get really hot? Were you holding it the whole time, or did you fix it to something? How much water did you boil?

bushcraftboy
    I boil water with my Zippo too, although it consumes alot of fuel, in a bad situation you could do this to stay alive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    I boil water with my Zippo too, although it consumes alot of fuel, in a bad situation you could do this to stay alive.
    If nothing else to burn?

Using your Zippo like that will overheat the metal and eventually cause the metal to go brittle and break.

Enough water for a drink, or just enough to prove a point?

Based on that thought: here's a completely pointless challenge:- What's the maximum volume of water that can be brought to a boil with one standard household match, before the match goes out? Assuming you can still buy a box of matches now. I don't know the answer - just a hypothetical question, as it might be interesting to find out. Taking care of course not to start a bushfire, or burn fingers, full PPE to be worn with a fire extinguisher close at hand. This suggestion in no way represents the views of Natural bushcraft.co.uk etc...
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

I did it for a drink (we ran out of electric and I had no meths left haha

If you saw how much wood is in my garage and out back just waiting for a fire, you'd save that lighter fuel. Now you have me thinking. I was going to do some woodwork this evening, but since it's not raining, maybe I'll go make a fire to sit and watch whilst the worries of modern life evaporate from my blank mind.

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    If nothing else to burn?
    Well if EVERYTHING was damp/wet, anyway it's still wasting fuel.