Thread: Hunting Dogs

Hunting Dogs

I had a beautiful saluki lurcher that i lost a while ago in an accident. We used to hunt rabbit and hare together 3 or 4 times a week (when hare hunting was legal of course - no pun intended). Rabbiting with dogs is still ok. I have my eye on a greyhound with a penchant for small furries . Been out with him once and he is a lovely dog. Going to take him out again shortly. How do people feel about hunting with dogs generally? I think it great - exciting, great to watch and food in the pot.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

do it all the time,i have a brindle grey called stubby (30"tts),very fast dog puts food on the table as often as i ask,got a lurcher collie x grey this will be his first season this winter,he allready loves mooching along a hedge row whist the collie flushes from the other side,he is about 26"tts we also dog over ferrets thats great for the bolters.got any pics of your dogs?
    heres stubby:

scooby the hedger:

and skippy as a pup:
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Your Brindles a lovely looking dog . The white saluki was mine - the other is my mates dog. I dont have any of the Greyhound yet.................

The pair of them loved the lights - heart, liver, kidneys etc - even tho they knew they would get meat as well, they would never wait!
    Last edited by Realbark; 22-09-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

I had a beautiful saluki lurcher that i lost a while ago in an accident. We used to hunt rabbit and hare together 3 or 4 times a week (when hare hunting was legal of course - no pun intended). Rabbiting with dogs is still ok. I have my eye on a greyhound with a penchant for small furries . Been out with him once and he is a lovely dog. Going to take him out again shortly. How do people feel about hunting with dogs generally? I think it great - exciting, great to watch and food in the pot.
    I think its great too, it used to be a huge part of my life and then the kids came along and the dogs quickly dwindled from four to two until none, then as far as I was aware at that time the legalities of it all got screwed up and I never fancied carrying on my families tradition of being on the wrong side of the law for poaching. I dont know where the law stands these days with regards to hare coursing or lamping with lurchers but it saddens me to think that my sons will never know the excitement of watching a nimble Saluki Greyhound cross on an early morning hare, at least we still go out with the ferrets and both my sons 12 and 5 love it (but again I miss the dogs for marking burrows).
    PS some fine looking dogs in all of the pictures above.

great looking saluki,is it a x ? expected fluffy ears.
    love the scruffy dog too loads of character,thats a fine quarry your daughters holding too! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Heres me and my dog Bryony who i sadly lost last year, she was collie x greyhound/whippet. Was great on the lamp and just as good at flushing and catching. She also worked very well with the air rifle on squirrels. Sadly missed.
    In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.

nice looking dog ANGOF ,those tree rats sure bite though,stubby has a nasty scar from one!

Good looking long dogs , them all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	12980 these are my Jack Russell's, weasle and Toby, I've had jr's almost my whole life. Awesome little hunters that need no encouraging. If its fury or feathered they will kill it with glee. The problem is they're too keen! We get hedgehogs in our garden and the determined little bugger's have figured out how to in curl them and kill them so now I have to do a hedgehog patrol before they go out in the garden. I'd love to take them out shooting with me, but they wouldn't leave me anything to shoot! Lol. The PIC was after last years royal Cornwall show, I spent most the day in the cider tent as you can probably tell.