Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Firesteels - What Tinder?

Nice idea, will give them a try, thanks

Anyone else carry some cycle innertube in there firekit? Its great and will help get a fire goin in all weathers.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Quote Originally Posted by AL... View Post
    Anyone else carry some cycle innertube in there firekit? Its great and will help get a fire goin in all weathers.

Cheers
    AL
    That goes into my "Everything, including me is soaking wet, and I do not give a flying *expletive* how I light my fire anymore, I jsut wanna get warm* firekit.

I actually carry 3 fire kits

One is the all traditional quartz, steel and charcloth with some grass for tinder and birch bark kindling, kept in a leather pouch, wich sits in a leather belt pouch, both fairly waterproof, but will probably be wet if I fall in a river or something...

Then I have the modern LMF type firesteel, on with each knife I carry. Usually use this one with birch bark directly. Consider those a firekit in it's own right.

And then last a "high-tech" kit with storm matches, lighter, strips of bicycle innertube, vaselined hemp twine, vaselined cotton pads and LMF army firesteel. The last kit is kept in a zip lock bag with each item inside also in zip lock bags for water proofness.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi Al,
    Here is a good tip,
    I use a couple of Bands of inner tube around the sheath of my Mora Forest knife to hold my firesteel to it (always know where the steel is that way and can't forget to take it),
    This banding is far more than is actually required to hold the steel. (or add a spare for fire starting.
    The reason for two bands is the steel is gripped both sides by rubber and it protects the sheath from scapes,
    Please note I also inserted a short piece of plastic tube (from an old felt pen tube) This stops you having to fiddle about when replacing the steel between the bands, (dont insert a long piece or you'll lose the grip effect)
    Not meaning to teach egg sucking, just trying to be detailed for everyone, hopefull pictures added tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Mora_Forest2.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	5391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mora_Forest1.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	5392

PS. the back holds the striker and a tiny little can opener (can be seen poking out the bottom)
    Last edited by Tigger004; 19-09-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: PS note

Hi Tigger
    Great Idea mate I have a holder on my sheath for the fire rod mate Which was made for me by Tony along with my knife Both of which are beautiful.
    So I keep all my fire lighting kit in a pouch in with my stove .
    Thanks for sharin mate

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Banned
    I tend to carry a selection of various tinders but i like char cloth & maya dust........

I prefer natural tinders, especially thistledown and milkweed fuzz. Cattails seem to go out instantaneously - I wonder if I'm not fluffing it up enough to give it more oxygen.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Yes I do. I used the inner tube as a waterproof outer for one of my survival tins.
    I usually 'recycle' (pardon the pun) old inner tubes from cycles or the wheel chair
    repair/supply shop in town usually bin the old inner tubes, shop girl usually keeps
    them for me before they get binned.
    One of my favourite all time tinders Impregnated Metal Polish Wadding lights
    first time very little effort
    Regards
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	5981
    Cheers
    AL
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 19-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Cheers
    AL

Yup, its wound round an empty 12g cartridge in which there are some lifeboat matches - Like Rune its part of my "I NEED HEAT NOW" SHTF kit
    [

After making my first lot of charcloth, and getting hold of a steel for my flint, I had a play today, and lit my first ever tinder bundle using flint,steel, and charcloth.. One happy bunny.................

And for the record... Jute twine makes awesome tinder nests !!!!!!!!
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......