Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firesteels - What Tinder?

thanks for the vid ash,i was asking about this a little while ago
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I'm glad it's of some use bud

I use whatever i can find. If there is nothing good about I'll make up some feather sticks and use those. I don't normally carry tinder with me, prefering to gather it when I'm out.
    http://www.bushcraftni.com
    http://bushcraftni.blogspot.com
    Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Making Feathersticks

Quote Originally Posted by Celt_Ginger View Post
    ... If there is nothing good about I'll make up some feather sticks and use those...
    Good point, a featherstick is another one worth mentioning when it comes to the Firesteels...

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Not very bushcraft but I carry one of those tubes of rubber glue that you get in a bicycle puncture repair kit-small, lights with even a vague spark, burns for ages and is cheap as chips, only a small blob is needed and the tube lasts for ages, I also have char cloth, paper birch which is abundant here and horse hoof fungus in my tinderbox.

Jim

Trapper
    Someone suggested to me to use drier lint. Good plan but our drier is a condenser one so all the lint goes down the drain. However there is a launderette in town that uses gas fired driers, they must have to dispose of loads of lint when they clean the filters out. Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstan View Post
    Someone suggested to me to use drier lint. Good plan but our drier is a condenser one so all the lint goes down the drain. However there is a launderette in town that uses gas fired driers, they must have to dispose of loads of lint when they clean the filters out. Stan.
    I went to my local launderette for this very purpose but the lint I got was pretty poor quality (says a lot about where I live!) and full of synthetic fibres. It caught well but burned really quickly - too quickly to start off kindling, and the fumes were not very nice.

I'd go to Knightsbridge if you want posh launderette lint.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstan View Post
    It should still have a lint filter, mine does. Every condenser dryer I've had has had a filter.

If your going to take tinder from home rather than use natural stuff then take the best you can get....cotton wool balls dipped in vaseline or better yet lighter fuel.

Would have to disagree with you there Chris, lighter fuel is essentialy petroleum (petrol), its the vapour that burns and not the liquid itself, you can douse wood or tinder as much as you like you are only going to have the vapour burning, I messed about with lighter fuel as a kid and lost my eyebrows and eyelashes several times before I realised what a pratt I was being, petrol mixes with air rapidly and causes a vapour cloud-this will ignite even with static-so if your wearing wellington boots and other man made materials you have the potential to turn yourself into a screaming fireball.

petroleum jelly on the other hand is extremely safe and stable-a good suggestion