Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Items - 3 Days - Dartmoor Challenge

What if the tarp already had the cord attached? No different than a tent with lines. Will the tarp be warm enough with no sleeping bag, tents do seem to be a little warmer being enclosed. Or is that just my impression?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It is a tough one. I'm seriously contemplating taking a tarp instead of the tent but then I'd need to take paracord as well which would be another item. I could do this as a six item challenge!!!

Martin
    lol... we discussed this last year; Tarp (& it's pre-attached guy-lines) count as one item! Your forgetting a lot from last year

I'm surprised to see you so confident this year Martin because you wasn't half getting twitchy the nearer we got to last years 10 items!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

This is the natural progression of the ten item challenge which wasn't really that challenging.

Martin
    lol
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Question

Watching the 10 item Dartmoor video from last year, something hit me at 5:50 in, there's a scene:

Got to admire Matt's dancing at 7:30 ... hoping for more of that this year!

You both had walking sticks, which weren't on the list! I know that sounds trivial but they can be very multi-purpose and weren't made on the trop. Infact I'd even go so far to say the GPS and map should be items on the list. Now I'm not saying don't take a map/compass/GPS to Dartmoor, but like the mobile phones & first aid kits, the navigation equipment could just be there incase of an emergency.

I'm confident we could safely spend 3 days on Dartmoor without modern day nav equipment (well and even if we did need it we'd still have it on us).

Are we really gona man-up boys and truly do 8 items? Or is it HiFi time again?

I'm getting excited!
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    First things first, I had my walking sticks but you had your camera tripod!! I rest my case m'lud.

Secondly, I could add my hi-fi to the six items I have on my list; I need to do something to make up my six items.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    Just for clarity, I don't eat any meat or dairy products, I also don't drink coffee or tea so I'm not going to bother with a stove or billy. I will have plenty of food which will help me to keep warm and I will have warm clothes that I will wear at night instead of a sleeping bag.

Martin
    oof...cannae whack a hot cup of tea on a cold morning...only think thatll coax me out of my sleeping bag.

warm clothes idea make sense....plenty of people have had to make do before...

First things first, I had my walking sticks but you had your camera tripod!! I rest my case m'lud...
    lol! And so it begins ... it was agreed before hand that photography equipment was allowed as free items to document the trip, my tripod didn't aid me in anyway other than photography.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    lol! And so it begins ... it was agreed before hand that photography equipment was allowed as free items to document the trip, my tripod didn't aid me in anyway other than photography.
    Neither did my walking poles but.....

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Hmmm, let me see.
    I don't use modern nav kit anyway. If you were aiming to camp in woodland then probably wouldn't need a shelter, however cannot guarantee woodland is available. So my list would be:

1) rucksack
    2) tarp
    3) bivvi bag
    4) sleeping bag
    5) knife
    6) firesteel
    7) billycan
    8)

Not sure what I'd take for number 8. - Maybe my walking stick to use as a tent pole if caught out on the moor.

It's not too far of of what I'd normally pack to be honest - Throw in my hammock, hatchet and saw and that would be my normal pack - excluding clothes, first aid kit and food/water
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Hmmm, let me see.
    I don't use modern nav kit anyway. If you were aiming to camp in woodland then probably wouldn't need a shelter, however cannot guarantee woodland is available. So my list would be:

1) rucksack
    2) tarp
    3) bivvi bag
    4) sleeping bag
    5) knife
    6) firesteel
    7) billycan
    8)

Not sure what I'd take for number 8. - Maybe my walking stick to use as a tent pole if caught out on the moor.

It's not too far of of what I'd normally pack to be honest - Throw in my hammock, hatchet and saw and that would be my normal pack - excluding clothes, first aid kit and food/water
    What about something to sleep on? That frosty ground can get pretty cold.

Martin