Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Hammock & Tarp Setup!

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Proventurer View Post
    Hey Wrighty,
    That Desert Camo tarp is ideal for SA, the one thing we have a lot of out here is, well, deserts, 80/20 rules and for eighty percent of our season those colours will blend in nicely, what was the name of the surplus store you got it from?
    hiya there mate, i didnt get it from a surplus store im afraid, i found a bit of a deal when searching on ebay of all places!

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi there
    First off congrats on a hammock/tarp set up.. I've been using my DD Travel hammock since april, done over 20 nights and it is the only way to camp....
    Couple of suggestions... I added a pair of whoopie slings and trees straps..(whoopies bought off UKhammocks for £13...& tree straps made myself from climbing webbing.) This set up reduces bulk, is very easy & quick to set up. Has no stretch so your hammock is the height you set it...Check out this video to show you how...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Also your hammock looks a bit tightly strung. Rather than lower it I'd add a bit more sag. This will allow you to sleep more diagonal & avoid shoulder pinch. There's like a sweet spot, where you can lie confortably but not get a ridge down the middle of the hammock. You can add a structural ridge line from end to end at the gather of the hammock of around 100 inches.... When this is just taught, but not tight you'll be close to your sweet spot.. It may take a bit of adjusting to find the exact length ridgeline needed. Check this out for lengthshttp://dejoha.com/projects/hammocks/...alculator.html
    Finally these videos give you an idea on which way you can set up your hammock for ease & simplicity... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3pHt8KI&NR=1
    Enjoy your hammocking!!
    cheers
    Gareth
    apart from being an absolute nutcase those are some really good vids! there's a part 2 + 3 aswell which are really informative.

noted about it being too tight. im yet to spend a night in it thow thats changing sunday night. when i was in it i didnt notice too much about shoulder pinch thow i had it nice and tight to try and prevent sag. but when it goes up next il bare that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty28 View Post
    noted about it being too tight. im yet to spend a night in it thow thats changing sunday night. when i was in it i didnt notice too much about shoulder pinch thow i had it nice and tight to try and prevent sag. but when it goes up next il bare that in mind
    Hi there
    In fact you do need sag...Despite what has been posted in some forums, if you check out the Hammock forum and then experiment to see what's comfortable for you, the general concensus from the 'pros' is that you need sag, and finding just the right amount is the key to comfort....
    enjoy your weekend, hope you get some decent weather.
    cheers
    Gareth

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi there
    In fact you do need sag...Despite what has been posted in some forums, if you check out the Hammock forum and then experiment to see what's comfortable for you, the general concensus from the 'pros' is that you need sag, and finding just the right amount is the key to comfort....
    enjoy your weekend, hope you get some decent weather.
    cheers
    Gareth
    il have a little play with it when it next goes up ta gareth, happy hammocking!