Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodland Working Party!

Dave, please add me to your list of willing workers.
    Would Yeoford be the nearest station?

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TeaBee View Post

Trev
    Correct, its a sleepy little village and still a bit of a treck to get to the woods. Whats your plans on day of arrival/times etc as I have to go through Yeoford and may be able to meet you on the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaBee View Post

Trev
    Where are you coming in from Trev? I'll be driving from Exmouth early Saturday morning and returning Sunday afternoon. If anyone's interested in a lift I'm happy to pick up and drop off if it's not too far out of my way.

Hi Jus & Bernie,

thanks for your kind offers. I'll be coming up from Plymouth with my bike on the train and cyling the bit from station to woods.
    It's early days yet but if the weather looks poor (or the gradients look too daunting!) I might be grateful to leave the bike at home and take up your offer.
    This reminds me that I haven't yet introduced myself on this site - I registered ages ago but these are my first posts. I'll remdy the intro this eve.

See you

hi TeaBee, of course your help will be more than welcome! I'm not sure where the neearest station is to be honest, but at a guess it would be either Crediton, Exeter, Okehampton or maybe Yeoford (but I don't think there is much difference between them?).You Might want to look at an OS map to decide whether the hills are too daunting, but it is a bit bumpy around here
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Thanks for the welcome, Dave.

I’ll study the map and make a decision about the bike nearer the time.
    I don’t know exactly where you are – but it’s near Cheriton Bishop isn’t it?

that's right, the woods is about a mile from Cheriton village centre.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

a little update on activities for the weekend

Alex, my charcoal man (Chew Valley Charcoal, as seen at the wilderness gathering, etc) has said that if folk are willing to help ferry wood to the kiln then he will get a burn going during the weekend. So it's likely that if you are interested in seeing how a FULL SIZED charcoal burn is carried out then you will be able to at my place! Quite a rare opportunity for most this one!

At present I have many piles of wood waiting to be moved but they are on the wrong side ofa bank, so a vehicle can't be used to get the woods out. So it will be a simple case of a human chain to move some wood around. Many hands will make light work of it believe me The resulting charcoal will be used in my forges during coruses and shows next year, but I'm sure that I can find enough spare to fuel a decent BBQ over the weekend!

Anything for food! (Well almost anything)

Banned
    Dave

I would like to see how a wood should be managed. Would it be OK if I stayed over Sunday night as there is a possible meet with some friends nearish on the Monday?