Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodland Working Party!

Woodland Working Party!

After the success of my last working party back in the spring lots of folk have said that they would like to come along next time. Well, I finally have the date for the next one and half a plan as to what I would like to get done

The general plan is to get a group of willing folk together in my woods for the weekend and get stuck into some of those jobs that either take me all winter to do on my own or simply require extra hands. Then on Saturday evening we have a jolly good knees up around the campfire!

The date of the gathering is the weekend of the 26th-27th of November, though folk are welcome to arrive of the friday if they like.

The location is, fairy obviously, my woods near Cheirton Bishop (about 15 miles west of Exeter).

The plan of action will depend partly on whether the rain stops for long enough in the meantime for me to get some building materials into the woods. Some of the ideas below are based on having the building materials and others are incase we don't have them. so here are some ideas:

Extend my outdoor forge area (poles and roof on two sides)
    Build 2 extra Roman/Saxon forges
    Make bellows for the forges
    Clear the top ride through the woods
    Thin some more of the willow coppice that was started last time
    Make a couple more shaving brakes
    Make a group dining table and benches
    Make a pole lathe or two

Obviously I don't expect to get all of those things done, but it's good to have a dream. One thing that I do insist happens is that folk enjoy themselves!

I've most of the tools for the work involved, but if I think of something that I don't have but might need I will post a request. Which leads me on to ask if anybody coming along has any special skills that they think might be useful?

I've a list of nearby accomodation for the wimps, but everyone else is welcome to camp in the woods. Plenty of space for hammocks or tents, but please remember that it is a 1/5 mile carry/wheelbarrow from where we park to the woods. So no stupid inflatable tents or trailers full of junk please As for food, please cater for yourselves but I will pick up something for all to tuck into as well on saturday night (a bit like the hangi idea at the BCUK bushmoot).

Please sign up here or drop me a pm if you are interested in coming along (even if can only come for some of it, you are more than welcome!).

Many thanks to all who came last time and I hope this one will be as much fun!
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Wootie wooo!!! I just got the okay from SWIMBO. Finally, I can make a weekend in the woods. I'm SO HAPPY!

As you know Dave, once I have a clear understanding of what you want I'll work hard to get it done. I'll bring a few of my own tools for people to laugh at.

If it's okay with you I'd like to camp (bright green and red - NOT CAMO ).
    Last edited by Bernie; 12-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Wanderer
    Dave i would like to attend the weekend with maybe one other, just have to put in the dates. I can also bring along some tools as a backup.

See you on the Friday. Anything you need for me to bring just post it here.

excellant start thanks guys!

Justin, you'll be pleased to know that the power supply is working well. Hasn't got above 72% charge yet, but then hasn't dropped below 69% either. I have to say that it's taking some getting used to not having to start the genny every 5 minutes! I did try welding, got three tack welds at 160Amp before it cut out, didn't think it would work at all.

So, so far we have:

Bernie
    Jus_Young
    Last edited by dave budd; 13-09-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: editing out Terry +1 :-(
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    excellant start thanks guys!

Justin, you'll be pleased to know that the power supply is working well. Hasn't got above 72% charge yet, but then hasn't dropped below 69% either. I have to say that it's taking some getting used to not having to start the genny every 5 minutes! I did try welding, got three tack welds at 160Amp before it cut out, didn't think it would work at all.
    Good to hear, its reassuring to see that the charge got to 72% which is showing that something is getting to the batteries from the panels. I am having a few doubts on the way those panels may have been connected in the past as the current is very small. I think one of my jobs will be to pull them all down, clean them and verify the connections. At least that way I know its all correct.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Sounds good Dave, should be up for that.. :0)

it really wouldn't suprise me if the panels were compromised by the twit who set up the power system Last time I looked the panels were putting 2.6 amps I think it was, seemed quite sunny and was mid afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    it really wouldn't suprise me if the panels were compromised by the twit who set up the power system Last time I looked the panels were putting 2.6 amps I think it was, seemed quite sunny and was mid afternoon
    Well I have been looking into this one and on a good day it should be nearly eight times that! Definately going to pull it all to bits. Might give you a shout if I can get down sooner.

hmmm, sounds like it needs looking into! Let's hope I don't have to replace any!