Thread: Good Youtube Hammock Video

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar

Good Youtube Hammock Video

Just discovered this video on Youtube that may give some of you some ideas for under hammock insulation. I think the idea of using the Blizzard Tube as an underblanket/coccoon is a very good one, not sure how effective it would be but this chap seems to think it works pretty well. Anyway, check it out and let us know what you think.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I wonder if his name is russell

good find martin,i have to look into some winter insulation for my travel hammock,this looks like it could be good, i've read around a bit about these blizzard tubes on some hammocking forums and the general consensus is that they don't pack down very small which is a bummer and there's some questions about how long they will last......
    is an underblanket necessary with one of these,would a roll mat do(10mm) say ?
    or for us here in the uk would an underblanket just do ?
    i've been trying to find the thread where ashley C mentions the type of cocoon he uses
    just throwing these questions out to anyone who knows,think this topic will be discussed a lot over the next few weeks and months

peace, ken

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I use an underblanket Ken but I know it's an expensive option. The underblanket is all I need all year round, I just use my sleeping bag as a quilt over the top and I'm toasty warm and not constricted in any way.

There have been a number of posts regarding under blankets and I thought this would be a good starting point for people who don't want to splash out on the full blown under blanket. I used rollmats in various configurations prior to getting the underblanket and I never found it particularly warm or comfortable.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

thanks martin just the advice i needed,good thread it can be a bit feast or famine here lol
    one thing that came to mind when i seen the underblanket in the video and how the webbing was sewn onto the blanket,i thought of using the clips that are used for tarps instead as i cant imagine too much stress being put on the blanket as it hangs under the hammock if some type of bungee cord is used......
    if it'd work you'd just need some bungee type cord, tarp clips, a blanket and the blizzard tube and if in the future if you get a better quality blanket its no more labor or time to change em over and the blanket isnt damaged either

thanks again
    peace,ken