Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Full time 365 survival in the uk

Full time 365 survival in the uk

Firstly i'd like to thank natural bushcraft for all your time and effort, this site and your youtube vid's are top notch couldn't be better.
    You love what you do and thats rare it show's in your vids aswell, there enjoyable, informative and crystal clear so thanks natural bushcraft and well done.

I have a question, do you guy's think its possible to survive healthily solely on wild food's?

Indeed, our ancestors did so - with enough succes for us to be here today

With the correct knowledge and skills it is definitely possible to live healthily from the wild land - but it will probably take a modern person years to obtain said knowledge and skills.

Another issue is the fact that gathering food and hunting is regulated by various laws. You would need a hunting license and access to a piece of privately owned land, large and varied enough to source the different foods and materials necessary for us to live healthily.

Tribal Elder
    If one decided to leave society one could easily survive year round outside...tramps do it...and a sober person could probably do it better. As for food, I doubt you'd be able to live off the land as easily... a coastal region would certainly improve chances though

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'd disagree that it could be done 'easily' but I'm sure it can be done. Not sure I want to find out though.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I think anything can be done, it depends on how much you like the trappings of our modern society.
    If I had to I would, and most likely end up enjoying the struggle, but to chose to do it is a different matter unless there are some rewards at the end, T.V. Show sponsorship etc etc.

I certainly do think it's possible but as Martin rightly said, not easy. It's a very good question and quite uncanny as I've only yesterday ordered a book that Ashley is currently reading http://www.theomnivore.co.uk/Book/Cl...d/Default.aspx I would imagine a lot of your time, if not most of it would have to be dedicated to this task.

Regards,

Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

of course like jeep said really but may not hve the skills now to do it as well

@JEEP- I was thinking the same, Although products are not as good as they could be (thanks to the cost production basis) we surely have better equipment than our ancestors.
    Unfortunatly i am a modern man, im 22 and most of my meal's have come from the fridge etc but ive spent the last year training, researching and learning about the skill's and knowledge needed to survive in the wild.
    The laws are not yet to restricting well for forageing atleast.

@Martin- I doubt there's many who would, Society today is very status oriented as 'Realearner' demonstrates perfectly, people seem incapable of doing anything without reward, praise or attention from others.
    I was the same, the box i put my mind in consisted of how i look, what people thought of me, quantity of material possession's etc.
    Then the box started to feel small so i sought to escape it and when i did i realised that i didn't want to sell my life at an hourly rate in order to live in a box drive a box, watch box's, converse with other box user's about there box's through various different box's.
    I would imagine it's quite a terrifying prospect for the average joe lol.

@Matt- i might have to give that i read aswell looks quite interesting. Im not looking for easy infact i believe difficulty and struggle are a necessary to life, how else would we know what easy was without difficult to compare to, i think our lives would be how we see the live's of cow's just emotionless drab lol.
    Im going to try it next aprilish, untill then constant research the more i know the less i have to carry.
    i just wish i'd found this site earlier, i had started making a food diary organised by month researching each individual plant, then i find natural bushcraft and you guy's have done it all for me lol absolute treasure chest of knowledge here, i watched all the vids in 1 day aswell.

P.S. That was a bit longer than intended i do apologise.

I think you could,I did in my uoof I walked from St ives back to Essex took me 2 mouths living off the land the only thing I stoll I think where eggs did'ant tuch the jorcks unless i ad matches or lighter to light a fire.Iwas given some food by peaple I mete along the rout and a bite of road kill when i ad the meens to lite a fire.All i ad was a sleeping bag and an amy poncho.Eat a lot of un cooked veg more ofston,but made it,the only time i got pulled by the old bill was about a mile from my home and the b*"stard still did'ant give me a liffst home,mind you my mum would'ant let me in the house till next morning she made me sleep in the shed then get the garden hose out strip and wosh befor i could go back into the famley home.So i think you could make it.I think it was when I was about 17,and I did'ant get eaten by the bears...............TONY.

Well if the ancient Mayans were even half right with their predictions, then come 21/12/2012 you might just find out!