Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What are you working on right now?

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    Sounds very good can I come along to
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ll-of-interest
    [

Been busy with the sewing machine today making a tarp and hammock from parachute ripstop. Now that I have shrunk pack size to a 46L the DD tarp and hammock look huge. Hopefully when finished the new tarp, hammock, webbing etc. will all pack down to a bag size smaller than that of the DD hammock alone and weigh about half as much as my current gear. Finish of tomorrow and get testing

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Been busy with the sewing machine today making a tarp and hammock from parachute ripstop. Now that I have shrunk pack size to a 46L the DD tarp and hammock look huge. Hopefully when finished the new tarp, hammock, webbing etc. will all pack down to a bag size smaller than that of the DD hammock alone and weigh about half as much as my current gear. Finish of tomorrow and get testing
    I just roll my hammock up in my sleep mat now, and strap it to the top of the pack. Being the travel hammock, it's got a waterproof base, and put with being rolled in a sleep mate, it stays nice and dry. I wouldn't want to drag it through a river though, that might be a bit much for it lol.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I used to have things strapped to the pack but I just seem to have this aversion (?) to large pack sizes now. I have had so many back problems since my bike crash 5/6 years ago, 8 discs in a bit of a mess, and now that things are starting to return to some normality I have caught a bit of a lightweight and minimalist bug. The hammock is ideal for me as I sleep better now but when I put the DD stuff in the new Osprey pack the space inside just disappeared! I always had the intention of putting together some lightweight tarps but this just went a step further with the hammock.

If it wasn't for the back I would still be happy carrying the 65L sherpa all nicely loaded up, tent strapped on the outside and none the wiser. When ground dwelling dictates the use of the banshee, this will still be strapped on the outside but at the moment I am rather enjoying the DIY lightweight evolution, not sure the good lady is though!

One of the guys that came to the last Dartmoor meet, had a fishing trolley to carry gear about, but I'm not sure how that would cope over long distances. Glad to hear your back is on the mend (as much as backs ever do that is). I don't blame you for wanting the ultra light option. It's about staying safe, just as much as having fun.

Leather belt for my step-dad, designing and making a kydex sheath (similar to a KABAR sheath) for a OD micarta Shaman knife I made for a client, a paduak handled skinning knife I need to shape the handle on, looking at removing the running boards from my 99 Toyota 4Runner so I can get to rust spots to sand and paint, as well as a couple holes to carve out and fiberglass up, then paint the below door area with thick asphalt wheelwell spray to prevent further chips....... may leave the running boards off and just put some mudflaps behind the front wheels. Past all that, I still have a large 'to-do' list I can pick and choose from as I feel like doing. Also need to go get propane to start BBQ season, going to 17C today and early to mid-20s days after, I love global warming!!!

Sounds like your busier than I am lol.
    Global warming has got it's benefits. A few weeks ago, it was warmer here than Northern Africa for the time of year

Wow!

Ya, I have a list of eight knives to work on (none for me!?!), plus other projects and things I NEED to do (truck work), but is good because I hate being bored........

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    One of the guys that came to the last Dartmoor meet, had a fishing trolley to carry gear about, but I'm not sure how that would cope over long distances. Glad to hear your back is on the mend (as much as backs ever do that is). I don't blame you for wanting the ultra light option. It's about staying safe, just as much as having fun.
    Strange you should say that, been out buying things today and one of the items was a trolley
    This is aimed more towards the family poshcrafting as the dutch oven, skillet etc all come with us along with bigger tent, table, chairs, camp kitchen... I think you get the idea.

Early stages of the Pederson Wood Wasp

First Cad design...

Second Cad design...

A couple more tweaks to the second design, and we have the basic blank template