Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on right now?

Hobo

What are you working on right now?

Ok so there are a few projects that i'm working on at the minute with varying degrees of success lol. Just wondered what everyone else is in the middle of or even not started yet but are in the planning stages.

Lets hear from you

Dave

Well, right now, I'm not working on anything, because I'm at work
    But I have been umming and ahhing about buying a new blade as a re-handling project. In my mind I can see it and it looks great and everything.
    But I don't really need a new knife, so it seems like a waste of money.
    Keep meaning to do some weaving, but I don't really need loads of woven baskets around. Same for making a kuksa - they look good but are pretty much useless as cups (even the biggest don't hold much).
    Weekend just gone I did modify a leather water bottle pouch I made some time ago. I carved a decorative Celtic knot type thingy on a leather panel and then stitched that to the bottle pouch. Came out really well. I'd previously tried doing a fox, but it looked more like a collie dog, which may be lovely dogs, but not what I wanted. So I did a Celtic knot instead.

Am working on sharpening my blade

I need to get some smoking done and with luck will hang saussages this autumn

I want to arrange some more walks/ camp outs and am seriously feeling the urge to whittle

Trapper
    Trying to introduce my kids to bushcraft but as my wife is against camping and outdoor activities it's been hard. Today went for a walk in the crown forest with my dogs and my daughter. Took the honey stove and a litre bottle of water, a pot and a little flask of milk, a jar of honey and some chai teabags. I told my daughter that we were going to stop off and have a brew. That we would light a fire with no matches and then leave no trace. Although she was worried that one of the wardens might tell us off for lighting a fire (Swinley did suffer from a large forest fire earlier in the year) we left not a trace. I don't think the queen would have been upset by the way we conducted ourselves. So thanks to her Majesty my daughter has a little more understanding of leave no trace, and much to my wife's disgust is asking about a weekend camping trip with a bit of fishing and foraging thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    Trying to introduce my kids to bushcraft but as my wife is against camping and outdoor activities it's been hard. Today went for a walk in the crown forest with my dogs and my daughter. Took the honey stove and a litre bottle of water, a pot and a little flask of milk, a jar of honey and some chai teabags. I told my daughter that we were going to stop off and have a brew. That we would light a fire with no matches and then leave no trace. Although she was worried that one of the wardens might tell us off for lighting a fire (Swinley did suffer from a large forest fire earlier in the year) we left not a trace. I don't think the queen would have been upset by the way we conducted ourselves. So thanks to her Majesty my daughter has a little more understanding of leave no trace, and much to my wife's disgust is asking about a weekend camping trip with a bit of fishing and foraging thrown in.
    My wife once felt the same way about camping. She always said that there was no way that I would find her out with all the bugs etc. The thing that changed her mind was that after 10 years of me being self employed and working constantly she demanded a holiday with the kids and the only holiday she was going to get/afford was a camping holiday. It basically started as glamping, then she started taking an interest in my bushcraft type ways, Scout leader and son in cubs followed with all that goes with it and now she is all about 'going with as little as possible but remember we have kids' style of family camping. Their minds can change but sometimes they just need a little bit of persuation. We have even done the Cornwall RV and Wilderness Gathering and she keeps wanting more!

Hi all sorry I missed some of you at the gathering,next time.Right now I'm working on an other knife(sirprize,sirprize)For the Brotherinlore,I got the blade at the gathering it's a Lauri Laplander carbon steel with a 53/4 inch blade with hiden tang,it's having buffalo,dear antler and cherry wood handle I'll post some pitchers when I get my camera back off no1 offspring.Back to the shed the apoxy should be dry..................TONY

Trapper
    To be fair to my wife she has humoured me in the past and tried camping. In a campsite and even up in the wilds of the Highlands but she hated every minute. I'm after a nice Canadian canoe now so that I can take the kids along the Thames and stop over for the night then continue on the next day. As the wife would have no plans to join us it would give us a driver for the drop of and pick up so thats easy enough I think. Love it when a plan comes together.

Just showed my son how to make a whistle. We used rose wood (I happened to be cutting it back). He's pleased with it but I'm getting a headache now lol.

saveing money lol

I'm getting interested in animal tracks and stuff - not very good at following anything yet, but getting a bit better at spotting stuff. Anyway, read about a 'tracking stick'; can't find out much about them but I think I've got the general idea of them, so I'm having a go at making one. If anyone knows much about tracking, animal watching, tracking sticks or whatever, please feel free to advise me!