Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather on a block of wood - suitable strop?

Trapper
    Sorry got disturbed. Is there a reason or advantage over a rigid strop versus a flexible strop?

Wink

The glue has dried, so I brought it in and had to try a few dry runs with it.

Satisfied that the leather was stuck, I went to get the polishing compound. Rubbed it onto the leather like a chalky crayon.

I then spent a minute stropping the knife back and forth. I'm very satisfied with the result. Shaved the back of my hand with it (hairs popped off as described). The bevel is like a polished trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    I've just watched some of the carter cutlery stuff from the shaving sharp thread and he demonstrates stropping a machete with some newspaper on a wooden block claiming it's the equivalent to using a 20-30,000 grit-stone. He then uses the machete to shave someone's head. He says that the small ceramic particles in the recycled paper not only make the paper white but act as a fine grit. Being a born skeptic I just put the free weekly paper on a work top and srtopped my Enzo Trapper on it for about a minute each side just to prove it's a load of rubbish. I then stroked the edge over the back of my hand and the hairs have literally popped off. Looks like there's something in it after all. I get 2 free strops in the post every week so I won't be buying one any time soon. Going to actually try an shave myself with it and as long as I don't turn my self Kosher I'll let you know how it goes. Next time I'm at a barbecue I'll amaze my host by turning his blunt chef's knife into a razor with a newspaper. Finally a use for the Daily Mail has been discovered!
    Holy crap! Post the link, I heard him say on one of his sharpening videos that he could get the same result as using 1000x and 6000x water stones as he can using a cinder block and newspaper, is all about technique, nothing more! Never went farther than that except shaving with a spoon, etc. but if it's been proven to work................. geez!!!!

Found it, checked here first and replied before checking my thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi7_7IcE1ew

Awesome Bernie, makes me want to make one too. Likely I'd go for gluing leather onto a paint stirring stick though.
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 28-08-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    I like the strop. Reminds me of going to the barbers when I was in the States but the leather stops they used were flexible rather than rigid. Is there a reason?
    Having a flexible strop will tend to put more of a 'curve' on the final blade profile. Having the leather rigid on the wood minimises the flex and keeps a flatter profile. It just depends on what you want really